Default Seat for nearly 3 year old

We need to get a new forward facing car seat because our old one was in an accident. I really disliked our old seat, Britax Boulevard. I found it hard to tighten the straps, and the crotch strap makes my son uncomfortable--think it was too far back for him. Anyway, I definitely don't want to get another one of those!

DS is 34 months. We haven't been to the doctor in a while so I don't have the most current measure but he's roughly 40 pounds and very tall for his age. (We're going next week so I'll have his true size soon!) We have a Toyota Corolla.

I was wondering if I should get a seat that will also convert to a booster. So far, I've seen that the Britax Frontier does that, right? Or do you think I'd be better off getting a more inexpensive regular car seat and then buying a booster later? We are working on getting pregnant again, so theoretically our second kid would probably be able to use a forward facing seat we buy in the future too, though maybe not for long. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
    Last edited by claritygolden; 10-21-2012 at 04:47 PM.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Since you aren't rear facing anymore, i would get a high back booster with a 5 point harness like the Frontier or Maestro. No reason to pay for rear facing functionality of a convertible seat.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5