Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Age for AG Doll?

Lula (6yo) has started to mention wanting an AG doll. She plays with her baby dolls and barbies, so I think she'd enjoy one. Is this the right age or would you wait?
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Clarity is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My 4yo is begging for one this year and I had thought I'd get both of my girls one. They're 4yo and 6yo. I hope that's not too young, I'd hate to disappoint her.
    big girl 6/06
    little girl 9/08

"I'm not stupid; I just don't stop to proofread." (PRM?)

for the historicals? i think i'd wait until 7 for sure. i think 7 is pretty much the age recommended for the bigger dolls (it definitely used to be, there is something developmentally magically about 7 for most kids that makes them able to take better care of things and appreciate them more than younger kids, plus still plenty of time left for doll play)

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I know most people feel older is better. However, DD got a Gotz 18 inch doll (from a co-op years ago, so it was like $30 OOP for me) when she started sleeping in her own bed at age 3. She took very good care of it considering her age, which made me more open to earlier vs. later. Last year for her 5th bday we took her to AG to pick out a doll when we tagged along on a business trip with DH. It was in lieu of a party, etc. so we wanted to make it a really fun experience for her. She has taken excellent care of her doll and plays with her just like me doll nearly every day.

She had read a few of the AG books, but not many, when she got her doll. I think that's why she chose a "just like you" doll vs. a historical doll. This year as part of our HSing co-op, the kids are all reading the AG books and those are being tied in with some other study of American history. So we've worked through several sets of the dolls' books now, and as a result she's now *much* more into the historical dolls. Last year she wasn't really into them.

For Christmas this year, she really wants Kit.

I do steer her toward dolls that have hair that is easier to care for at her age. Same with the Just Like You doll...she picked one with really wavy hair and I suggested straight hair would be easier for her to maintain at her young age.

My very close friend has 3 dds. Her 8 and 5 yos are VERY into AG, and they do a good job of caring for them. I totally get that not all kids that age would connect w/ the stories or be able to care well for them. Both of her older two girls read the books independently and fell in love with the characters...the 5 yo reads them well and adores the stories.
    Last edited by brittone2; 10-23-2012 at 10:49 PM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Clarity is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DD2 (4yo) wants McKenna, I think that she's girl of the year this year? She definitely has long wavy hair, I could try a similar looking "just like me" doll though, she may not realize the difference yet.
    big girl 6/06
    little girl 9/08

"I'm not stupid; I just don't stop to proofread." (PRM?)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'm debating this right now. DDs just turned 6. I have my Samantha doll and an identical one I found at a yard sale. They are in great shape. Samantha is really special to me because I wanted her so badly for years and finally got her when I was 12. They take good care of their toys, but I am thinking about delaying the gift because I think falling in love with the books is what makes the dolls SO special. We have read a couple, but it has been a year or so. I think I will try again before Christmas and see how it goes. I want to give them at the perfect point, and as excited as I am I kind of think waiting one more year might be better.

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

DD was 5 when she got one and then she got Kanani on her 6th birthday. Definitely not too young, in general. DD has taken very good care of her dolls. She knows to only use the doll brush. She keeps their hair brushed nicely, although I help every couple weeks. She's never dragged them along or anything. She does great.

DD never played with baby dolls and rarely plays with barbies. She had a toddler Corolle doll at 3 and liked that well enough. She loves her AG dolls.
    Kris

I got a PBK Gotz doll with a 15% off coupon for either Christmas or her birthday this year (I have decided which yet). She is 4 1/2. I agree with pp that I wouldn't get her a historic doll yet but one of the regular 18 inch I think would be fine.
    (I think the PBK dolls are so cute and Gotz are great dolls)
    http://www.potterybarnkids.com/produ...ey=dgirls-toys
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DD1 received a historical doll for Christmas when she was six. She did not have difficulty with the clothes, keeping the doll's hair tidy, or handling it with care. She listened to the books about her doll (and others, really) on audiobook. She didn't get into reading chapter books (AG ones or otherwise) until she was seven, but I don't think that her getting a historical doll at age six was a mis-step at all. I'm actually really curious about that reason are that some of the other posters here would discourage it?
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DDs were ages 6 and 5 when they each got their AG doll two years ago. We were in L.A., went to the store, and let them pick one out as a big trip treat.

BUT, those two AG dolls sat in their toy bins and got no play whatsoever until just a couple of months ago. So now, two years later, both DDs are VERY into their AG dolls, grooming them, making small crafts for their AG dolls and reading the AG books. So for my DDs, the age of true interest ended up being ages 7 and 8.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast