Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    The thing I loved about Molly was being able to use her as a starting point for asking my mom's mom questions about what it was like to be a kid growing up in wartime.

In 1944, my grandma was 13, so she was a little older than Molly but she would have been 9 when Pearl Harbor was attacked in 1941, so she kind of spent her tweenage years working for the war effort.

It was really interesting to me to be able to ask if x, y or z thing had really happened or if my great-grandparents had done the things Molly and her friends' moms had done in the books.

That time spent talking, when I didn't think I had anything in common with my grandmother, was incredibly valuable to me!
    That's sweet! I used to love to read Reminisce magazine and would ask my grandparents about things I read. I was a strange kid, no doubt.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
    Any word yet on which doll(s) may be getting discontinued? DD requested Kit or Josefina, but then narrowed it down to Kit. If Josefina is getting d/c, I'd probably pick her up and save her for another holiday or bday.

I don't follow the AG news very closely...I just read somewhere a few months ago that one or two more dolls will probably get d/c soon.

2 days ago at Costco I saw they have AG activity sets...not sure how much play value they have. About $44 or so I think...they had a movie theatre and a few other themes that I can't remember because I was trying to look quickly before DD saw me (she was off with DH). I only scanned the box quickly but it looked like cardboardish stuff? I didn't think they looked that great for the price. Did anyone else look closely?
    I've read people think it'll be Molly next. But, not until spring, since they have a new doll now and want to sell her and the GOTY.

I haven't seen the Costco stuff. Sam's had a set for McKenna with a bunch of hair things, 2 books, etc for $15 that I picked up.

I thnk you must have seen this: http://store.americangirl.com/agshop...228759/uid/136

Here's a picture from the description:
    Kris

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    I've read people think it'll be Molly next. But, not until spring, since they have a new doll now and want to sell her and the GOTY.

I haven't seen the Costco stuff. Sam's had a set for McKenna with a bunch of hair things, 2 books, etc for $15 that I picked up.

I thnk you must have seen this: http://store.americangirl.com/agshop...228759/uid/136

Here's a picture from the description:
    That's it. Costco had that and 2 other similar sets I think. Looking at their site I am fairly sure the other two were the diner and flight sets. I wasn't sure if DD would really get a lot of play out of these...interesting though. Again, at Costco I think it was 44.xx.

Thanks for the info about Molly.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post

Thanks for the info about Molly.
    So, in other words, ask for Molly's Christmas dress & PJ set for my birthday. Gotcha.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

those cardboard scenes look like the perfect candidates for the black friday sale-- overpriced, but cute as an "impulse" (even at 30 dollars when half off)-- still,since they are new, might have to wait for next year.

i really like the concept of them-- the airplane set is my favorite because it's novel and our little animals/people are always "traveling" somewhere.

i hadn't seen those, so neat!

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    I have Molly; she was my Christmas present when I was 11.

I'm not sure why you don't feel Molly is "as interesting" from a historical standpoint - her stories are quite a lot of fun! - can you explain why? Yes, she's a white kid who lives in Illinois, but WWII was a fascinating time on the home front. Lots of the things we do today from a "save the planet" standpoint started because of rationing during the War - recycling cans and glass bottles, reusing items in new ways (like baking bread in a coffee can, etc.), hand-making Halloween costumes and Christmas tree ornaments - or even women in the workforce on a large scale (Molly's mom works outside the home and her dad is a Captain in the Army, serving overseas as a doctor) ...
    Thanks for your feedback on the dolls - I apologize, of course all the dolls are extremely interesting. I'm not sure what led to that particular word choice, but I think she's less "glamorous" than some of the other dolls, not less interesting by any means.

for Sandy Hook

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Seitvonzu View Post
    those cardboard scenes look like the perfect candidates for the black friday sale-- overpriced, but cute as an "impulse" (even at 30 dollars when half off)-- still,since they are new, might have to wait for next year.

i really like the concept of them-- the airplane set is my favorite because it's novel and our little animals/people are always "traveling" somewhere.

i hadn't seen those, so neat!
    I bought a different one as part of the last chance sale. I wanted to use the $10 off $50 code and needed $16. It was $25. I figured since I would have paid $8 in shipping, it was really only $19 . I got this one: http://store.americangirl.com/agshop...228607/uid/906

I think all the birthday food and banner, plus the party book, etc will make it well worth $19. I am going to give it to her when she's a bit older, but she'll love it.
    Kris

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    I bought a different one as part of the last chance sale. I wanted to use the $10 off $50 code and needed $16. It was $25. I figured since I would have paid $8 in shipping, it was really only $19 . I got this one: http://store.americangirl.com/agshop...228607/uid/906

I think all the birthday food and banner, plus the party book, etc will make it well worth $19. I am going to give it to her when she's a bit older, but she'll love it.
    That's cute. I know I wouldn't pay 60 for the sets on AG right now. 44 from Costco isn't too bad...I'm just not sure how much she'd enjoy it...hard for me to determine. I think she'd like it. At $20-30 or under, I'm quite sure it would be worth it

eta: when I saw those at costco, I didn't realize the book things came with it. I know we've purchased the "doll dining" activity book thing before for a friend (little restaurant pad, plates, etc.) and that is about $20 at full price. That makes the costco price more appealing to me. I might look for these on sale on the AG site and see how it compares to the costco price. Thanks for pointing out the book/activity set that comes with it, because I missed that initially. I literally only took 30 sec to look at Costco as DD was coming around the corner
    Last edited by brittone2; 10-25-2012 at 11:05 AM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    Thanks for your feedback on the dolls - I apologize, of course all the dolls are extremely interesting. I'm not sure what led to that particular word choice, but I think she's less "glamorous" than some of the other dolls, not less interesting by any means.
    Absolutely, I'll agree that she's less glamorous than a Marie-Grace, Cecile, Samantha or Caroline ... but that's not necessarily a bad thing, in my opinion.

I love Molly's story quite a lot, so I hope that came across in my posts about her instead of making you feel on the defensive.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I just ordered DD her first AG today for Christmas-- Caroline. She's loved her since she first saw her. I have no idea why, since DD has straight brown hair and brown eyes, but we've read a few of the historical books together already, and I got my Samantha doll out of the attic about 6 weeks ago to see if she would take care of her the way she should. She's been incredibly careful and respectful of the doll, so I decided to take the plunge while there's free shipping. She just turned 6 last weekend.

Apparently the Girl of the Year for 2013's name is Saige. It sounds like the doll lives in the southwest and enjoys the arts-- painting and reading-- and riding horses.
    Last edited by boolady; 10-25-2012 at 04:04 PM.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast