nc_hope is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Help figuring out baby gates please? (with pics)

We are moving from a one story to a two story house and I have no experience at all with baby gates. The house has two sets of stairs, each with a different situation at the top and bottom. DS is 12 mos old. We also have a 9 yr old, a dog and a cat if that makes a difference.

Here are the pictures of the top and bottom of each set of stairs. Can anyone offer advice as to what types of baby gates would work in each of these scenarios?

Front stairs, bottom:

Front stairs, top:

Back stairs, bottom:

Back stairs, top:

We only gated the top of our stairs, which look very similar to the second photo you posted. We have this gate:
    http://www.amazon.com/KidCo-G2000-Sa...rds=kidco+gate

It has been there for about 1.5 years and I have been totally happy with it. DS can unlock it now, but wasn't able to until he was about 2 years old.

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have the gate that Candaceb posted and used 2 of these Kidco K12 gate install kits so we didn't have to drill into the banisters. (we ordered from amazon- you do need a drill to drill the hardware into the plastic thing that goes around the banister.Even though it says no drill.) I think that gate could work for you at your front stairs top (with 2 kits) and maybe the front stairs bottom with one kit and drill into the wall for the other side.

You could also use it on the back stairs at the bottom. The complicated part looks to be your back stairs top with the window. Depending on how low the window goes you might have issues figuring out how to secure a gate on that side.

Start looking at CL or local consignment stores or FB pages (we have a local FB "garage sale" page) and get gates used if at all possible. I got a gate on CL and one my friend "lent" me one but without hardware. Kidco was great helping me figure out what I needed and got it to me really quickly.
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10