KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Shark Steam Mop - anyone like this or what am I doing wrong?

I bought this 1-2 years ago and have only used it 3 times now. I keep thinking I'll figure out how to make it work better, and so far, no luck.

I let it warm up, and prime it 10-15 times, as per directions.

My problems:
    1. It's so hard to push. It doesn't glide on my vinyl floor at all.
    2. Having to go over the same spot 7-8 times to get a small spot off.
    3. It leaves a small line of dirt that I then have to go around and wipe up.

My kitchen floor is about 10 x 12 feet. It takes me about 25 minutes to do it with the steam mop. I switch pushing hands every 10 min or so, but my arms are really tired by the end of it, because it's so hard to push.

I do like that it's not a huge wet mess after, but a regular mop or bucket washing is so much faster that I could even go back and dry it in less time that it takes to steam mop!

Anyhow, is this just how it works or am I doing something wrong?
    Kris

melwe is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

This has been my experience as well on my vinyl floor, so I'm curious to see the responses.

FWIW, it does great on my ceramic tile: pushes well, cleans easily, etc. However, I have more vinyl than ceramic tile.

I just bought the Rubbermaid reveal mop, and I just find it easier. No electric cord, no warming up, lightweight, use your own cleaner, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Rev.../dp/B003UA7F46
    Melanie

DD 12/06
    DS 9/2011

I have the mop and it does seem to clean well. I don't have any vinyl in my house though, Mostly wood and tile in the baths and laundry area. I find it's hard to push as well, but, I am sure on the vinyl it is much harder. We have never tried it on carpet, which we have in the bedrooms and family room. I can't imagine it works...I use a steam cleaner for those since i like to suck up the wetness. I used to have a small cleaner for my old house that had more tile that would work like a carpet cleaner. It would spit out the water then such it up. I think something like that would be excellent on the vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by melwe View Post
    This has been my experience as well on my vinyl floor, so I'm curious to see the responses.

FWIW, it does great on my ceramic tile: pushes well, cleans easily, etc. However, I have more vinyl than ceramic tile.

I just bought the Rubbermaid reveal mop, and I just find it easier. No electric cord, no warming up, lightweight, use your own cleaner, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Rev.../dp/B003UA7F46
    I just looked at your link and think this might be good for my wood floors! Thanks for the info. I am having a hard time pushing it on the wood, but, it is easier on the tile. I don't think the shark and the steam is probably that good for the wood anyway, even though its sealed.

peanut520 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Hated my shark steam mop and returned it to Costco. I have a lot of sealed hardwood and it was very difficult to use on them also. I just ordered my second haan. http://www.amazon.com/Haan-SI-35R-Fl...haan+steam+mop

My first died after I didn't descale after about 2.5-3 years of biweekly usage. I was able to pick mine up for $70 ish.
    DD 2/09 - My sweet loving Spunky/Spirited child

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I hated ours. Hated so much I returned it to Costco. Steam mop or not I am still firmly in the "you can use a mop or clean a floor but not at the same time" camp. I vacuum and sweep but the wet wash? nothing I have found beats me on the floor with a rag. Thankfully we don't have a huge living space so it is manageable to do that once a week, with spot wipes daily.
    Last edited by kijip; 10-25-2012 at 05:26 PM.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Love ours and use it on hardwood. Not as easy as tile I am sure, but easier and less chemicals than my Bona hardwood floor cleaner system. Sorry you are having probs with your vinyl floor.
    Audrey - Feb 2010
    Anderson - Dec 2011

Please, no babies in 2012!

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kijip View Post
    I hated ours. Hated so much I returned it to Costco.