Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New Autism diagnosis.

DS#1 (10 years old) has had a medical diagnosis of ADHD since he was 5. I've always felt there was something more going on though. It just seemed "worse" than ADHD. But I've been put off by countless doctors who didn't think it warranted testing.

After fighting our insurance company for nearly a year to pay for testing, and then scrambling to find someone qualified locally in network to do it, we found a wonderful, kind child psychologist who could do the testing.

After waiting 6 weeks to get a diagnosis back from her, I finally had a long meeting with her yesterday.

I'm shell shocked.

The findings came back as high-functioning Autism (PDD-NOS).

I expected Aspergers. For some reason that didn't seem as "scary" to me. But actual autsim, that surprised me. He also still carries the ADHD diagnoses plus anxiety disorder. A triple whammy. She also feels he has some cognitive issues that may point to learning dissabilities, so the school will now be testing for that.

I feel like I'm walking around in a fog. I keep reading the paperwork over again to make sure I didn't read it wrong. It feels like I made it up in my head, that perhaps I got it wrong. But nope.

Where do I go from here?
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Couldn't read without sending you some hugs of support. Your son is so lucky to have you.
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

g-mama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Your ds is fortunate to be the child of a wonderful, loving, caring, amazing mother. I know you must be overwhelmed with emotions right now, but it's going to be okay. You've done a great job with him all this time without a proper diagnosis, nothing will change your abilities to be the exact mother he needs.
    Kristen
    mama to 3 wild and crazy boys - ages 16, 13 and 11

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by larig View Post
    Couldn't read without sending you some hugs of support. Your son is so lucky to have you.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-mama View Post
    Your ds is fortunate to be the child of a wonderful, loving, caring, amazing mother. I know you must be overwhelmed with emotions right now, but it's going to be okay. You've done a great job with him all this time without a proper diagnosis, nothing will change your abilities to be the exact mother he needs.
    Well said. Sending love and support your way.
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Didn't they recently change the terminology, eliminating the term Asperger's? I think high-functioning autism is basically the same thing.

My 8-year-d DS has ADHD and Asperger's (or whatever you call it). He is a wonderful boy who needs extra support in some areas.

Don't let the terminology get to you. Your son is still the same person he was yesterday, last week, last year.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by g-mama View Post

I am sure I would feel shell-shocked, too.

You are a terrific mom. I know that for a fact.

Your son is the same awesome kid he was yesterday and last week and last month - now you just know more about him, and can help him more effectively. Because you are a terrific mom, you'll get him what he needs - even if it takes a while to figure out what that is.

I don't know what the right next step is, but what I do know is that a diagnosis can be the best way to get the services and guidance you need. Hang in there.
    Green Tea, mom to three

Clarity is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    Didn't they recently change the terminology, eliminating the term Asperger's? I think high-functioning autism is basically the same thing.

My 8-year-d DS has ADHD and Asperger's (or whatever you call it). He is a wonderful boy who needs extra support in some areas.

Don't let the terminology get to you. Your son is still the same person he was yesterday, last week, last year.
    To everything Sariana wrote.

I think the Asperger's change is coming in the next DSM, version 5. Here's the rationale: http://www.dsm5.org/ProposedRevision...on.aspx?rid=97#.

mama.
    big girl 6/06
    little girl 9/08

"I'm not stupid; I just don't stop to proofread." (PRM?)

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

no advice, but you know i follow your DS closely b/c so much of what you have described and relayed in the past is very familiar to me with my DS

i hope i can be half the mama you are and give my DS all the amazing support you're giving your DS

i'm hoping the woman you saw who gave you the diagnosis would be able to help you figure out next steps?
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It is shocking, even when you sort of expect it.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast