I'm almost embarrassed to write this. I rarely tell people IRL about our sleep issues because they're just so bad, that seeing the shock on people's faces is discouraging and embarrassing.

DS is 19 months. I have read every sleep book out there and really feel I have implemented all the advice in there. We have a great consistent schedule ( 730 wake up, 1-3 nap, 8pm bed time), we have a good windown, he has white noise and blackout curtains and I've taught him how to fall asleep on his own. However, there are nights where he wakes up, and will not go back to sleep. The night wakings last anywhere for 2-5 hrs. He doesn't cry the entire time, he'll often roll around the rib, cry out for a moment, flop around some more, cry for a minute or two, throw his lovie around, cry for a minute....over and over and over. I have tried rocking him back to sleep, laying next to his crib, giving him pain meds just in case it's teeth but normally I just leave him in there because nothing I do makes a difference anyway (and he's not actively crying the entire time).

It has always been this way (literally from infancy)! He doesn't do it every night, or even every week, but it's certainly not a rare occurrence. It seems to be getting worse however. This week he's had one night waking of 4.5hrs and last night he was awake for 3.

Anyone have any idea why he'd be awake for this long? It's completely not normal...right? I've tried talking to his paed about it, but he just basically points me the direction of the sleep books and tells me it's a phase. I'm at a loss, and totally losing my mind.