fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default What I don't understand (clothes)

Kind of a vent and kind of a question...

I have been slowly losing weight. But here is what I don't get... I was at Target the other day and picked up a Merona skirt in a size 6. It was a tad snug at the waist (but wearable) and if I keep losing, it should fit fine soon. (It was a winter skirt).

Today, going through my closet, I pulled out some Merona capris I bought last year or the year before. They are a size 10. I put them on - they fit, but were not loose at all. How can I wear both a 10 and a 6 in the same brand?

I have some GAP and Old Navy pants with the same issue. I am a certain size when I try on now, but my older pants/shorts in a bigger size (same brand) either don't fit or barely fit. And I just mean from like a season or 2 ago - not years and years ago...

I understand variations between brands, but the same brand...? Crazy.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You can't compare skirts and pants. I can always wear 1-3 sizes smaller in skirts and dresses than I can in pants. I think it's just a matter of how much fabric has to go all around my hips and butt and thighs.

Plus, vanity sizing can be blamed. In the past few years, things that are now 6s were probably 8s then.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

It's annoying how inconsistent stuff is. Especially cheaper brands, which is what I am more likely to be shopping. I usually just eyeball stuff and disregard sizes. (and congrats on losing the weight!!!)

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I guess the skirt/pant thing could explain it for the Target stuff, but for Old Navy and GAP I have shorts in similar styles that are off in sizes and pants also.

I don't know, it is just annoying that I have to try everything on!

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I wear a smaller size in skirts as well. I think it's the worrying about hips/ behind instead of just waist issue.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by fivi2 View Post
    I guess the skirt/pant thing could explain it for the Target stuff, but for Old Navy and GAP I have shorts in similar styles that are off in sizes and pants also.

I don't know, it is just annoying that I have to try everything on!
    Vanity sizing. I guess I would keep trying things on b/ c now you really never know.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

as PP said, i can wear a size or 2 (or three) smaller in skirts vs. pants. For me it's not a butt/hips thing, but the fact that with a skirt i can always wear it a little higher...with pants there's not that option.

and yeah, i would blame vanity sizing. I would say every 10 years things go up a size. So if i have pants from 10 years ago that are a size 4, they would probably be a size 2 now. Maybe it's more than that I don't know.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm totally realizing that skirts are way more flexible than pants. Like PP said, you just shift it up or down a bit depending on how bloated you are that day I've been focusing my search for work clothes solely on dresses and skirts for this reason - they are simply more robust to weight changes. and are really more comfortable since you don't have to worry about what happens to the crotch as you sit down. And, since I've actually ripped the butt seam on a pair of pants by bending over, I'm kind of paranoid about that now. It wouldn't happen with a skirt. I just wish I could get over my self-consciousness about my bowed legs.

As for vanity sizing and inconsistencies in sizing - yup - major PITA! I only buy from places with good return policies now. Either a B&M store where I try on in person, or an online store with free returns.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Old navy sizing is super inconsistent, I have even had issues with significantly different fit between what was supposed to be the exact same pair of jeans. I had tried on a pair pod jeans, but didn't decide to buy them at the time. after leaving the dressing room, I decided to buy then, and so I got the same fit, size, color, everything off the shelf. Got it home, put it on, and couldn't get it past my hips! I Todd that sorry to friends, and they had similar stories. I think Old Navy is so cheap, they have really poor quality control...
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

um yeah, was purging my closed yesterday and a size 12 Theory dress looks fine as does the size 6 armani pencil skirt. This is why ordering online SUCKS for me. Sizes are nuts. Congrats on your weight loss!!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07