Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default $100 for a dance costume? Really?

So, this is DD's first year taking ballet. She LOVES it. I knew to expect that, beyond the cost of lessons and leotard/tights/shoes, that there would be extra expenses for the annual show. But... $100? The actual price isn't known yet, but we just received a notice asking for a $50 deposit for the costume. I thought that was high for a deposit, so I asked what the ballpark costume cost would be (they haven't made a decision on the costume specifics yet). I was told "well, we usually do new tights and shoes, and that will be about $45, and then the costume will be about $50".

Seriously? Do they really need new tights and shoes for a one-time performance that I assume will be about 15 min? DD is only 5 and is only in "pre-ballet".
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Tights, I can see, so they all match. But, shoes? That seems crazy.
    Kris

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    Tights, I can see, so they all match. But, shoes? That seems crazy.
    Oh, but if they have new tights, they MUST have new shoes. The rule here is that the tights must match the shoes.

Currently, all the girls in DD's class (and it seems, in most of the classes) wear black tights and black shoes. So, (a) they already all match and (b) the teacher already chose a color that won't look dirty or dingy by spring. So the only reason for the new tights/shoes combo is so that the teacher can choose a "new look" for the girls. I just kind of feel like she is spending my money.

I briefly thought about saying, "well, maybe we won't do the show," but I know DD will be extremely excited to be in it. Plus, I assume all rehearsals will take place in class, and if DD weren't in the show, that would be hard on her.

The request for the deposit came without any explanation of the show, or what it entails, or a choice of whether to participate or not. Just "your deposit for the spring show costume is due on Saturday!"
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Our studio doesn't require tights all match in terms of exact brand at that age (they just require light pink with a white leotard for PBII student) but they do encourage "fresh" tights for recitals and performances.

Our costumes are not cheap for the end of the year performance. For the Nutcracker, they provide the costume (they do the Nutcracker every year and have acquired a large # of costumes), although there is a performance fee.

They do not require new shoes for performances, at least not at the preballet level.

I will say I sometimes have conflicting feelings because DD's studio is not inexpensive to begin with, and then there are the normal performance fees, etc. They now require parents volunteer in some capacity for all performances. THey ask for donations for gift baskets that are raffled off (each class has a different theme, so in some instances it is a cash donation to purchase an AG doll for example, and other classes have a theme and then you are expected to pick up items to donate to the theme).

They continue to add new things that run up the total cost. This year there is a "tea" at the dance school that is 25 bucks a ticket, etc. That also requires parent volunteers. It is optional, but after a while I find it *really* annoying, TBH. Performance tickets are now 25 pp for adults, 21 pp for students and senior citizens. It goes up every year.

eta: rehearsals are all primarily outside of class time after PB2 (which just has a small role requiring 1-2 practices. We can't make the practices this year due to travel, so DD is missing the performance. Nutcracker is optional at our studio; end of year performance is mandatory).

Of course, there are also optional pictures, DVD, etc (additional cost) which I don't mind. But just keep those things in mind because the tuition itself is only part of the expense, IME. I don't mind the cost in general, I just sometimes feel nickeled and dimed. I think I'd prefer to just have tuition be higher vs. the constant little fees, optional add on things (the tea, etc.), and so forth.
    Last edited by brittone2; 11-06-2012 at 10:01 AM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Our costumes are that much. They asked for a $60 costume deposit and I thought "sounds fine" without realizing it really was just a DEPOSIT, with quarterly payments in addition. Some studios take the recital very seriously.

Some studios don't do recitals at all, and I would have preferred that. I'm not in it for the show. But we ended up at one who does a very formal recital (not for that reason).

If you don't want to take part, I think you can get away with it at this age. Just tell your daughter you guys have other plans for the day of the recital, oh well! And then do a museum or movie that day. She is young enough.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

This thread makes me happy that we enrolled DD in ballet at the YMCA just to try it out. Obviously it's not serious training, but DD is not the most graceful (she's much more of the tomboy princess type) and I don't see her doing ballet long term. This is fun and costs $30 dollars, plus leotard tights and shoes. For the recital, her instructors made tutus to go over their leotards.
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine873 View Post
    This thread makes me happy that we enrolled DD in ballet at the YMCA just to try it out. Obviously it's not serious training, but DD is not the most graceful (she's much more of the tomboy princess type) and I don't see her doing ballet long term. This is fun and costs $30 dollars, plus leotard tights and shoes. For the recital, her instructors made tutus to go over their leotards.
    My very close friend's DDs attend a ballet school that I'd love to have DD attend, but it is a 45+ min drive. My friend was a dancer all through high school, and was very serious about it. THis studio does tights/leotard, the end of the year performance is held in the studio and the parents watch, no special costume, but the quality of instruction is excellent. If we had that option in a geographically convenient location, I'd be all over it.

DD started off at a drop in class held one summer at a different studio, which was great as we could try it without a commitment. I wasn't as impressed with the instruction, the floors were kind of not the best, no A/c other than a window unit so it was hot, etc. It was lower key though, which was really nice.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Pear is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Our recital fee is $140. That includes costume, tights if needed, 2 tickets, and the DVD. They tell you what color shoes you need when you start in the fall. It is just the standard pink for ballet and black for tap. I think it is crazy, but it is DD's favorite activity and she has been asking to be in the recital een before we signed her up for classes.

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't remember how much DD's recital costumes are, but I know that they're pretty expensive. I think each costume is $50-75 or so. New tights are required for the performance, and I can understand that. It sort of distracts from the dance if all of the tights are slightly different shades of pink or have holes in them!

DD's school doesn't require new shoes for performances. I'd be really annoyed if they did! Pink ballet, black taps and black jazz shoes are required for class, though, so the girls already have those.

I danced for years at a variety of studios--we moved a lot. I think that's a pretty typical outlay for a costume for recital. Most of the studios I danced at required pale pink tights and pink shoes for class. But for recital we might have needed white tights or black tights. One year my parents had to spray paint my shoes silver. Once I got a bit older, I usually had three costumes--ballet, jazz and tap. Sometimes more because I was in multiple numbers. My mom sewed a bunch of costumes too--I remember one year she ended up sewing them for over half the class because no one else would.

Definitely expensive! I did reuse a bunch of my costumes for Halloweens. . . .

Catherine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast