luli13 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default How much does your 7mo nap?

I don't see much action on this sleep forum, but I'll post here anyway and hope for some replies

I have a 7mo who I just can't seem to get on a good napping schedule. It is pretty much all my fault, to be honest. My 3 year old has a 9am preschool drop off m-w-f, then I like to go to the gym so I drop DS off at child care at the gym and we get home around 11am. Then I give him a quick lunch and he naps from 11-1:30 when I wake him, nurse him, then head out to pick up DD at preschool at 2pm. Then we usually run errands. He doesn't sleep in his car seat or stroller while we are out. I find it difficult to work in that afternoon cat nap for him most days.

Can anyone weigh in on how you work in baby's naps when you have other kids and busy days and/or you stay at home?
    Is it OK for a 7mo to be only getting one day time nap?
    He sleeps from 6:30-7 at night with usually one wake up to nurse at night.

queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm subbing this thread!

Our schedule isn't even as good as yours. Bedtime is all over the place. And lately she sleeps about 6 hours at night and wakes up for a couple, sleeps a couple more hours, wakes, sleeps awhile longer. It's my fault, but I'm not a "routine" person so I don't know how to fix it or train her.

Lara
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Both my kids had 2 naps at that age, and needed both. It is typical for a baby to go to one nap at around 12-15 months. I would really try to work in that second nap, especially because you have to wake him up from the first one. In your shoes, I would skip the afternoon errands for a few months.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    Both my kids had 2 naps at that age, and needed both. It is typical for a baby to go to one nap at around 12-15 months. I would really try to work in that second nap, especially because you have to wake him up from the first one. In your shoes, I would skip the afternoon errands for a few months.
    I'm so glad you suggested skipping the errands and not the gym! Now, in the past when we come right home after preschool pick up, I would put him down at 4 then I would have to wake him back up at 5:30 so we could keep on his night schedule. I know what I HAVE to do- ideally, skip the gym...put him down at 10am...let him sleep til pick up... Then put him down at 2:30-3 and let him sleep til he wakes then do a 7-7:30 bed time. But I really enjoy (and desperately need!) my three mornings at the gym. I know it sounds selfish but it's my time.
    He's an extremely happy and agreeable little guy. The current sleep situation doesn't affect mood or night time sleep. I guess I'm worried if not napping as much during the day is affect brain development- is that a legit concern? He is getting substantial sleep at night-10-12 hours.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I don't know anything about brain development at all, but I will say, 10-12 hours per night is typical for babies that age on top of 2 naps.

I hear you about the gym. You have to do what works for your family as a whole. But if it were me, I'd probably make some adjustments to give him an opportunity to sleep a little more. See if it makes a difference.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

I work FT and DS goes to daycare 4 days per week. On Fridays, DH takes him to his parents home. He is currently 7 mths. His sleep schedule makes me think we're causing him harm. We get him to bed most nights around 9PM, and most of time he sleeps until 6:30AM. On most Saturdays, he goes to bed later and will sleep until later in the morning. Sometimes he'll wake up but we can usually get him back to sleep w/o me having to nurse. He just needs his pacifier.

As for naps - He usually naps while I drive to day care for about 30 minutes. At daycare I will be lucky if naps for half an hour around 10:30/11AM and again around 1:30/2PM. That's it! 2 half hour naps. He does the same thing to us on weekends. So it has nothing to do with being at home in a darker and quieter room vs loud and bright daycare. At home or at MIL's house, his 2 naps will maybe stretch to 45 minutes, but that's about it. The only time he'll sleep longer is if we're in the car running errands. On weekdays he will usually also nap the entire drive home after being at daycare all day, so I'd say from about 5:20 - 6:10.

Overall DS seems very happy. He doesn't cry very much. The daycare staff used to complain about how much attention DS needs because he liked to be entertained most of the day. He seemed so unhappy they thought there was a problem because he wouldn't nap longer than 30 minutes each time. Ever since he started "doing the worm" (propelling himself forward using his knees rather than actually crawling), the daycare staff tell me he is much happier and enjoys playing by himself.

I told the doctor about this at his last visit (6 months). I explained that I was concerned because DS doesn't nap much compared to other babies. The dr said that some babies just need more sleep than others and not to worry. I still worry though, especially when I read posts like yourself that say your baby sleeps longer than mine. I just hope we aren't causing DS any long term problems....

I'd suggest talking to your son's doctor and see what they say. I'd have to guess if he seems happy, you're not doing anything wrong.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Personally, it sounds like you are keeping DS up too long in the morning if you want two naps. At 7 months, DD went down for her first nap at 10 and her second nap at 3. At around 10 months, that first nap moved to 11 and by 11 months we dropped it, and moved nap time until 12:30/1. FWIW, I WOTH and at daycare, DD barely napped all day. She only napped on a perfect schedule at home, and she seems no worse for it. At 7 months though, 11 seems very late to go down for a first nap.

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My kids were also taking two naps at 7 months. Is there anyway you could let your LO nap for 1.5hrs in the morning after drop off (like 930-1100), and then head to the gym after he wakes up?

Mopey is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My 7.5 month old is currently napping - her second of the day and it's been nearly two hours already. Because of daylight savings she is now waking up around 6:30am and going down for her first nap by 9ish. Then another nap early afternoon. And a third later in the day.

The naps vary from less than an hour to three hours. She likes her sleep and always has. She goes down usually by 8pm and has been waking a little lately - usually once a night because she's too hot or her teeth bother her.

We did the S's and read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. I must admit when we started understanding when she was tired everything changed. I am not a Nazi about the schedule (we are all going to a big dinner tonight when she should be going to bed) but I know sleep is important since her dad and I love it!

I agree that the morning nap should probably be earlier. It seems the mid-afternoon is easiest for my girl to skip or be out during. Morning and late afternoon seem more necessary.

Good luck!!
    Mom to Miss Mopey! 3/12 & Baby Boy GoGo! 7/15

"Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Thanks for your thoughts everyone! I talked it over with my husband and I think I will try to lay him down for a 10am nap and a 3pm nap as much as I can. I have been keeping this schedule for the past few days and he has been sleeping more soundly at night. There will be an off day here and there, I'm sure, but for the most part I'm going to try and keep him on schedule for the next few months. Thanks so much for all of your input.