daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default post your weight loss success by going gluten free (or low carb)

I feel like there have been more gluten free posts in the lounge recently where people note that they have had success. Thought it might be motivating/helpful to them all in one place. So if you feel like it, copy and paste:
    - my age:
    - percentage weight loss (or lbs):
    - how long it took to do this:
    - greatest feeling since doing it:
    - things I still struggle with:

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

- my age: 43

- percentage weight loss (or lbs): went from 159ish to 140 or so, which is really the top of my healthy weight range for being 5"6" but the lowest healthiest weight for me. So a solid 10% loss which was my goal.

- how long it took to do this: a year off and on

- greatest feeling since doing it: I feel less bloated and just more peppy. Most motivating is being fine in a 4 or a 6 for pants and skirts and not feeling things being too tight.

- things I still struggle with: celebrations. We were at an oyster festival for the weekend away last weekend with extended family and I had way too many cheese and crackers. I felt gross and bloated and then soothed that feeling with more crappy food. I feel like I fall off the bandwagon more than I should, even though I know how much better I feel now.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm GF but not low carb. I haven't lost a pound but I've lost probably 1-2 in in stomach bloat. I have way more energy and far fewer migraines, canker sores, heartburn, etc. The hardest part is dining out on a whim and social gatherings. I'm coming up on my 1yr anniversary of GF.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

- my age: 42 years old (I have hashimotos which is why I chose to go GF)

- percentage weight loss (or lbs): I have lost 10 pounds (from 165 to 155)

- how long it took to do this: one month

- greatest feeling since doing it: less bloatiness and wearing loose fitting pants

- things I still struggle with: pizza...I realize there is gluten free pizza but I have not found one that I love. Also, I am in the mindset that I don't like to deglutenize something. If it was meant to have gluten, keep the gluten...I will just not eat it.

I think that mindset has helped me with the weight loss since lots of things that the gluten removed are high preservative, high carb items.

I'm 41. I had wonderful success with South Beach. I didn't need to lose a lot of weight, but I was interested in improving my energy, healthful eating, and supporting physical training. I DEFINITELY had a lot more energy eating low carb, and my craving for sweet pretty much disappeared. I never felt deprived, but it did become much harder to eat out at restaurants, which we do fairly frequently. It was also more time consuming to cook. I've been off the diet and eating not particularly well (lots of casseroles and frozen dinners) for a while now, and I have gained weight. I'm still dropping baby weight, but I'm still about 15 lbs heavier than when I was eating and exercising well.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

- my age: 41
    - percentage weight loss (or lbs): 25 lbs or so
    - how long it took to do this: about 9 months
    - greatest feeling since doing it: the way clothes fit, the clothes options I have, people commenting on how great I look, not feeling crappy when I look at myself or obsessing over my body
    - things I still struggle with: carbs, sugar -- both killer for me;

ETA I did hard core low carb for about a year; I now eat toast on weekends with eggs but really avoid explicit carbs (bread, buns etc) most of the time
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07