Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Did you really loose 20lb on Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred?

Just want to know whether it actually works!!

Do you need anything extra to start following this workout?

I'm at a point where I really have to loose weight. I hate how I look and I hate being photographed. After DD2, pumping actually got me back to my pre baby weight(which is still over weight) but now I seem to be just gaining again.

I'm not very active, I hardly go for walks etc. I used to go to gym but stopped after I became prego with DD2 but even with gym I didn't really loose. Finding the time for gym is kind of hard at this point but I wouldn't mind following a workout program at home and thinking of purchasing this. I need to loose 50lbs.

If this program doesn't work anything else you can recommend?

TIA
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have not done 30 day shred, and I have been up and down on the whole weight loss thing, so feel free to ignore everything I say

In my personal experience, weight loss is 80-90% about food. Watching what I eat. Whether that is through a particular diet (hard for me to keep up), counting points on WW, or counting calories on mfp, or just paying attention to mindless eating - the only thing that has helped me lose weight is watching what I eat.

Being moderately active helps me somewhat, but when I start a major exercise plan, I end up overeating because I am starving, and I see no loss.

I am torn on what I have read regarding pure cardio and weight loss, but I do think cardio is probably good for your overall health.

I am more convinced on the information about strength training and weight loss, but I am certainly not an expert.

My most recent attempt - I have spent about 8 weeks only paying attention to calories (and nutrition). I am moderately active (walking, playing with kids, etc) but did not do a formal exercise plan. I got my eating somewhat under control and very recently started a slow, basic bodyweight strength plan (something I could do in my office at lunch). (I adpated the beginner bodyweight program at nerdfitness - google it).

I am trying to take it slow and do something I can maintain, rather than yo yo as I have in the past. I have been steadily losing (not a ton, but some).

Those are my random thoughts based on my personal experience!

Good luck.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I think working out is part of the equation. I don't think you can healthfully lose 20 lbs in 30 days. MyFitnessPal.com is a great website for tracking calories and exercise (many of us here have used it successfully). Diet and exercise (in that order) are what I find works.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    I think working out is part of the equation. I don't think you can healthfully lose 20 lbs in 30 days. .
    I completely agree. I think exercise is as important as eating right, maybe more. I lost 30 pounds after both my first 2 kids. I started walking them in the stroller. I started with half mile and eventually worked up to 5 miles per day. I found that when I was working out I was less likely to screw up by binging because it is such hard work to walk that much (even though I love gettig out with my tunes and jamming out!). But it's important that you not be starving all day. The trick is to eat just a bit less than what would satisfy you each day. Start by keeping a diary of what you normally eat. Figure out your calorie average per day and then eat less than that by about 100 calories. You want to just be on the edge of hungry- too hungry and you'll start binging.

It took me 6 months to lose 30 pounds. It wasn't frustrating that it came off so slowly because it was doable and I saw continuous progress. And I kept all the weight off each time- until I got pregnant again. . GL!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by fivi2 View Post
    In my personal experience, weight loss is 80-90% about food. Watching what I eat. Whether that is through a particular diet (hard for me to keep up), counting points on WW, or counting calories on mfp, or just paying attention to mindless eating - the only thing that has helped me lose weight is watching what I eat.

Being moderately active helps me somewhat, but when I start a major exercise plan, I end up overeating because I am starving, and I see no loss.

I am torn on what I have read regarding pure cardio and weight loss, but I do think cardio is probably good for your overall health.

I am more convinced on the information about strength training and weight loss, but I am certainly not an expert.
    A huge "YEA THAT" to all of this. I started 30 Day Shred last spring and kept it up pretty religiously all summer and until about 2 weeks ago. I think it is a fantastic program to really help tone abs and core -- and I see definition in my arms and legs too purely from the program. But I honestly don't think it is a program that would help you lose weight. I lost some weight whole on it but that was because I started really watching calories again and cutting out the mindless snacking. I really thought I was a pretty good eater and once I got on MFP and WW this fall, I could see that I was having 800 calorie salads during the day. Once I knocked that back, losing 10 lbs was relatively easy.

What 30 Day Shred does (and right now I am doing a 90 day Jillian plan) is keep workouts to a short period (30 day shred was 25 minutes if I didn't do the cool down, and the 90 day program I am doing now is 30 minutes with a cooldown). Those programs for me are my SWEET SPOT where I can work out but not get so hungry that I eat all up the benefit that I got from exercise.

I love to run, and run far. I love to lose myself on the eliptical trainer for an hour at the gym -- and super sweat while reading a mag or watching TV. I love to watch it register 800 calories on the machine, or 450 on my accurate heart rate monitor. But the fact is, I eat those calories later in the day. I don't lose weight by that kind of cardio (and I really have been doing it since college, and I am 43 now). The best exercise for me is 30 minutes. Then I manage to get the heart and immune health from the exercise but I don't get ravenous.

In full disclosure, I am at the top end of my healthy weight range so you might have more weightloss success with more to lose.

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Honestly I don't know what to do. I'm not a big eater. My breakfast is usually a slice of bread with cheese. I do have about 5 tbsp of rice with veges and meat for lunch. And dinner is again maybe one or two slices of bread with a curry. I don't drink soda on a regular basis. I do drink about 4-5 cups of tea with milk and sugar. That's about it.

I'm 5" 1" and 172lbs. 8 months ago I was 156 lb just when I stopped pumping for DD2.
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    Honestly I don't know what to do. I'm not a big eater. My breakfast is usually a slice of bread with cheese. I do have about 5 tbsp of rice with veges and meat for lunch. And dinner is again maybe one or two slices of bread with a curry. I don't drink soda on a regular basis. I do drink about 4-5 cups of tea with milk and sugar. That's about it.
    Keep eating the same amount you are and increase your exercise. Up your water intake. And when you get hungry, drink warm tea (with artificial sweetener) or warm, low-calorie soups like chicken noodle. Other great snacks for in-between meals are citrusy fruits. Baby carrots plain. Drink lots of water with your meals (fills you up faster). You'll lose weight unless there is an underlying cause like thyroid issues affecting your weight.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

For me it was eye opening to track every calorie. Measure and write it down. Don't estimate - use a food scale or measuring cup. Add up you recipes on my fitness pal, separate into accurate portion sizes, and get an idea of what you are really eating. Whether you join Weight Watchers and convert to points (kind of a pain, but obviously works for a lot of people) or join My Fitness Pal (free!) and log calories - do it. It is boring, annoying, etc, to look up every single food and enter it, but I think it is probably the key to weight loss for a lot of people (as pp said, barring any medical condition). Once I did that for a few weeks, I had a better idea of portion sizes, hidden calories, what nutrients I was missing, what that random handful of pretzels was really doing etc.

I don't know what ingredients are in your food, or how much sugar you are putting in things, but you might be surprised. You might find out you are eating a lot of empty calories (which could leave you feeling hungry). I personally have to pay attention to my carbs. I don't have much luck with a very low carb diet, but I do have to watch them. I don't do sugar anymore in tea or coffee.

Again - I am not a weight loss guru. I still have plenty to lose. I am moderately active in my daily life - I just don't jump right into a hard core workout plan and expect to lose weight - it doesn't work *for me*. I will end up eating more than I am burning.

Good luck!

eta: the forums at My Fitness Pal are also full of a lot of good information. It can be overwhelming, and (like here ) everyone has their own ideas based on what worked (or didn't) for them. You just need to figure out what will work for you. If you burn more calories than you take in, you should lose weight (if no med condition. And, some people find that certain foods tend to trigger weight gain or stall loss beyond what the calories would indicate; you will have to see if that happens for you. ) So maybe for you that means more exercise; or maybe it means eating fewer calories. Figure out which one you can sustain long term.
    Last edited by fivi2; 11-15-2012 at 10:17 PM.

I lost all of my baby weight from DS2 thanks to Jillian! I think 30 day shred is a great workout, and it's very affordable too.

I later bought her body revolution DVD series and liked it a lot too. It is a 90 day program. It starts off easier than level of the Shred and progresses to levels harder than the Shred.

I agree with others that eating well is important too. I'm a fairly healthy eater to begin with (but, by no means a health nut!), so that wasn't an issue for me.

Good Luck!!!
    DS1: 3/09
    DS2: 2/11
    DS3: 3/13

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Her workouts are great but no, I would not expect that weight loss. I think the 90 day revolution is a better plan too, including the diet reccs. Still, it gets you into amazing shape quickly with fast, efficient workouts, but I think the weight loss claims are not accurate for most.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)