Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mnosky1 View Post

Is mindcraft an ap?
    It is a downloaded open ended building and exploration game for desktops and laptops. It's like electronic Legos. Kids build their own worlds. It is available at www.mindcraft.net. There are pocket editions for like 5 bucks on the App Store for iPad or newer gen iPod. The pocket editions are much more simple.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by kijip View Post
    It is a downloaded open ended building and exploration game for desktops and laptops. It's like electronic Legos. Kids build their own worlds. It is available at www.mindcraft.net. There are pocket editions for like 5 bucks on the App Store for iPad or newer gen iPod. The pocket editions are much more simple.
    If you want to give it as a gift, you can buy a game card at Target for the same price. I got one for DS1. It is nice because it's something I can wrap for him.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by kijip View Post
    Want: Arduino stuff! He can use to go crazy with his programming hobby and integrate with mindstorms http://www.arduino.cc/
    I'm curious how your DS knows about Arduino stuff? I know nothing about it, but my dad has put together a gift for DS with lots of Arduino stuff. (DS is 9 and also already has Mindstorms.) You're only the person besides my dad who I've heard mention Arduino, so I'm curious how you've learned about it? My dad has been getting stuff from China every day to put together DS's gift and is SO excited about it!

Quote Originally Posted by mnosky1 View Post
    My DD is 9.5 and it is so hard to find gift ideas. She has Lego friends and a few books on her list but will want to have lots of packages to open! Her 4.5 year old sister has a huge list.

Is mindcraft an ap?

Just a couple things I bought her before that she loved in case this helps anyone...
    Colored pencils (erasable, twistables, etc), big set mr sketch markers, sketch pads from michaels.

Pet design sketch pad- also comes in Barbie and Fashion
    http://m.toysrus.com/skava/static/pr...ww.toysrus.com

Hope to pick up some ideas from this thread because I need some!
    Yes, minecraft can be an app. It is availoable on iTunes and DS plays it on his touch. You can also play it on the computer and Xbox but it will require an account seperate from the iTunes acct.
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

Question about Minecraft. Do you just download it once and then they play or is it internet based?
    R
    Mom to DS1, DD, DS2, DS3

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I was hoping to hear suggestions for a 10 yr old girl - our niece turned 10 in July. I have NO idea what to do for her because she's a completely different kid than I was - at 10, I wanted an AG historical doll, more books and clothes, for example. This one, well, not so much. (MIL is giving her McKenna, but I'm not paying for shipping on any of the accessories! Especially if she'll be forced to "share" them with her sister, who received McKenna for her birthday.)

Anyway, I've bought her a copy of Anne of Green Gables, figuring that she'll be OK to get through it even though a there's a tense sequence where Diana's little sister is very ill with croup ... and Matthew dies ... but it's overall a fairly harmless book. And if she likes it, I'll buy her the rest of the series because I gave my copies away to my cousins. (I'll re-buy them for DD when she's old enough.)

I'm considering:

* earrings (she's got pierced ears, but I haven't any idea if she's only allowed to wear gold posts or if surgical steel is OK; I couldn't wear surgical steel 'til I was an adult)
    * GC to Justice (of course, that would require me actually GOING there and I cringe at the thought)
    * iTunes GC (though this may make DH and I PNG with SIL)
    * Cute outfit?

*sigh* I really struggle with these tweenage-girl types.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My DGD will be 12 next week. She also loves gift cards to Claire's and Barnes &Noble. Claire's is an accessory store in the mall which sells earrings, headbands, etc. She loves the store!

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

@Liz, there is a free shipping code now for AG, though I don't know if there is a minimum.
    shannon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Another Queen of the House of Boys:
    DS#1 2003
    DS#2 my mother's day gift 2012
    DH
    Mikey, the cat and rhinestone-collared, pink-leashed Schatze, our Rottweiler girl

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sntm View Post
    @Liz, there is a free shipping code now for AG, though I don't know if there is a minimum.
    Yeah, I know; got an e-mail the other night. It's a $100 minimum.

Honestly, by the time I figure out what the kids want, I'd be better off spending that $100 on transport to the AG Place in the City.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    I was hoping to hear suggestions for a 10 yr old girl - our niece turned 10 in July. I have NO idea what to do for her because she's a completely different kid than I was - at 10, I wanted an AG historical doll, more books and clothes, for example. This one, well, not so much. (MIL is giving her McKenna, but I'm not paying for shipping on any of the accessories! Especially if she'll be forced to "share" them with her sister, who received McKenna for her birthday.)

Anyway, I've bought her a copy of Anne of Green Gables, figuring that she'll be OK to get through it even though a there's a tense sequence where Diana's little sister is very ill with croup ... and Matthew dies ... but it's overall a fairly harmless book. And if she likes it, I'll buy her the rest of the series because I gave my copies away to my cousins. (I'll re-buy them for DD when she's old enough.)

I'm considering:

* earrings (she's got pierced ears, but I haven't any idea if she's only allowed to wear gold posts or if surgical steel is OK; I couldn't wear surgical steel 'til I was an adult)
    * GC to Justice (of course, that would require me actually GOING there and I cringe at the thought)
    * iTunes GC (though this may make DH and I PNG with SIL)
    * Cute outfit?

*sigh* I really struggle with these tweenage-girl types.
    In post #8 above, I listed items for 11 year old girls which should also easily work for a 10 year old. I would also consider her hobbies (art, cooking, sports etc.).

By 10.5, DD1 was not into Justice much anymore. She recognizes that the clothes are cheaply made, over priced and too blingy (I am so happy she reached this conclusion on her own. As such a GC to Justice is not necessarily a safe bet. DD1's current favorite is Old Navy or Gap. DD1 and all of her friends love picking out stuff at Bath & Body Works these days.

I would not pick out an outfit for her. Tween girls are WAY too picky.

DD1 received this earring set from MIL for her 11th birthday and really likes it (sterling silver is working well for her): http://www.ross-simons.com/products/435889.html (note extra 25% off)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast