Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default "big" gift ideas for 2.5 boy?

I am really struggling for gift ideas for DS who is almost 2.5. I am thinking we will do several smaller things that i know he will like and not worry about a "big" gift from us, but MIL has specifically asked for a "big" gift idea. They are considering a train table, but I am not sure how much use it will get and I would hate to to see it go to waste (both money and space wise!). We have a small wooden train set that gets only very occasional play and we already have 2 play tables (one upstairs/one down). We also have a lot of the other big gifts for this age group including play kitchen, workbench, plasma car, bball hoop and goal. DS's big interests right now are sports and trucks. He also plays with our duplo a lot but we already have several large bins full of it.

Any ideas? Would you just go with the train table? Thanks!

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DS1 played a lot with his train table and play kitchen from 2.5 to 3.5.

DD liked both at the same age, and will still play in the play kitchen with DS2.

Ds2 doesn't seem as into playing trains. I think with two older siblings he gravitates more toward big kid toys (for ex, he likes to play playmobil with DD...he is very young for PM, but loves it. He may get a PM ambulance or police car for Christmas).

I'm stumped on the one bigger gift thing as my DS1 and DD are each getting one big gift, a few books, audiobook CDs, etc. and then their stocking. We have so many toys from DD and DS1 that I'm out of ideas for DS2.

Oh, DS1 got a trike with pushbar for his 2nd bday. He got a balance bike for his 3rd bday. DD and DS2 were riding the balance bike right around their 2nd bday. DS2 can glide, balance, turn, etc. easily on his right now. If you don't have one, that would have some lasting play value.

Learning Tower? (space hog, but we have used ours for 7.5 yrs and it still looks great. We still find it very useful). Some people don't like the space they take up or don't find them useful, but there are many fans on the BBB.

Easel with paper roll? (for some kids that's a strike out, so YMMV)

Magnatiles? DS2 loves them, and all 3 of my kids play together (2 sets; we really could use a third set!). Again, lasting play value in my experience.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

A mini-kick scooter would be perfect for that age (if he doesn't have one).
    Lindsay

DD 12/06
    DS 08/09

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

kitchen
    Big Wheels' type tricycle (we bought one for ds2 when he turned 2 and we let him ride it inside only )
    Remo drum
    playhouse
    shopping cart

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ljackson View Post
    A mini-kick scooter would be perfect for that age (if he doesn't have one).
    I was going to post the same.
    Geotrax?
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks for all the ideas! We have a kitchen, shopping cart, roadster trike and remo drum - all of which he really likes! I had just started thinking about a mini-kick based on some of the threads right now about them. Would it be overkill to have a mini-kick, plasma car and trike?

ETA: I also stumbled across the thread about the duplo train today and wondered if that might be a good possibility...

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My parents got DS this http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Canyon-...+2+train+table for his 4th birthday. They also included a set of generic trains. He loves it. My 5.5 yo DD and my 2 year old DD both love it too.

tmahanes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

B is getting a drum set. Us there a smiley with ear muffs?

I think we are also going to do a bike of some sort. And would like magnatiles if the grandparents want a big idea

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    Tara

DS - B 2/10

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd get a Nilo table (or other similar kid sized table). Even if it is not used for trains, it has MULTIPLE uses over the years. We still use ours at age 5. (My dad got it on Craigslist for $50!)
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

I would be weary about getting a 3rd table if you already own two. That being said we actually have 3 tables in our house. A small square one with chairs(which lives upstairs in the art room), a slightly taller one that I covered with chalkboard contact paper for multipurpose use (downstairs), and finally a train table that I converted into a light table so it now does double duty (also downstairs). You can see how one converts a train table into a light table here: http://playathomemom3.blogspot.de/20...ght-table.html Still works as a train table too, you just need to lay the train table pieces on top of the plexiglass.

Magnatiles and Magformers are both very cool and very expensive. If he likes Lego duplos then I would probably push for one of those personally. I linked the large 112pc magformer set but I should say that my DS prefers the super pieces since they build larger items quickly.
    AF wife and SAHM of three
    DS(2007.March) DD(2009.July) DS(2012.December)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast