Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help! What to wear?

Background: Our neighborhood is having an exclusive (meaning just our small neighborhood, not the whole MPC) open house party at the country club because it's the newest development in the MPC and is almost totally sold now, though many of the homes are still being built (including ours.) Obviously, it's a plug for joining the country club, but we're going because we want to meet as many neighbors as we can before we move in.

We are NOT country club people. I live in jeans and a t-shirt (that's a lie, I'm in yoga pants right now!) and am at a loss for what to wear to this. The invitation gives no indication except to say that "festive fare and spirits" will be served. I do NOT want to overdress, but I don't want to look as schlubby as I normally do, either. I mean, I could frighten small children the way I look today. So, what would you wear to this? What should I make DH wear? TIA!

P.S. MPC=master planned community. It's very, very large. Where I'm from, we would call it a 'city' or 'municipality' but here they are called "ranches" or "master planned communities."
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would wear something akin to "business casual", so pants other than blue jeans, and a cardigan over a top with a nice neckline. A cami would be great. Do you have any flats? In a pinch a very low-heeled pump would work.

For your DH khaki pants with a golf shirt (polo-collared shirt) would be perfect with some sort of leather shoe.

It's a cold weather climate up here though, so if you live in a warmer area, lighter clothes might be equally appropriate (in other words, no cardigan for you and a golf shirt with shorts for your DH).

Have fun!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    I would wear something akin to "business casual", so pants other than blue jeans, and a cardigan over a top with a nice neckline. A cami would be great. Do you have any flats? In a pinch a very low-heeled pump would work.

For your DH khaki pants with a golf shirt (polo-collared shirt) would be perfect with some sort of leather shoe.

It's a cold weather climate up here though, so if you live in a warmer area, lighter clothes might be equally appropriate (in other words, no cardigan for you and a golf shirt with shorts for your DH).

Have fun!

Alternately, instead of pants, a cute knee-length skirt and nice shoes (ballet flats or kitten heel pumps) would work nicely as well.

We've had dinner with the ILs at their CC several times in the 10 years DH and I have been together and I've only worn jeans there once because it was the off season and nobody cared.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

I would do a refined sweater (i.e. not too bulky, a thin knit) with a knee length skirt, tights and either flats or knee high boots.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

tlw is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Who is hosting? Is there a number to rsvp? You might just call/email and ask the dress code.

If it's on a Saturday night, I would wear a dress and heels with either a scarf or cool necklace.

Otherwise, I would wear a skirt, heeled boots/booties, a sweater and cute necklace. Also, a wrap dress and boots is a good option, too.

I always tend to prefer to be over-dressed rather than under-dressed.
    Lee

DS 12/05
    DD 7/09

I tend to default to jersey black dresses in these situations. Jersey material makes them still work if people are very casual, but the black dress works if people are dressier. I tend to take a cardigan which again, if I walk in and everyone is in cocktail dresses, I can always toss.
    We recently went to a fund raiser with no real guidelines on how to dress. People ranged from nice jeans, to sequined dresses. I wore this in black (much more flattering in person and I tie the sash in front)

http://www.garnethill.com/surplice-s...e=&listIndex=1

with black boots and black tights. I wore simple jewelry, but had a fancier necklace in my purse if I felt a need to dress up. I fit right in. It's a nice purchase too because I like having a fall back black dress for cold and warm weather
    Alaina
    DS1 12 , DS2 7.5 and DS3 5

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I agree with business casual type attire with a bit of festive thrown in. A jersey material dress sounds nice. Also, skirt, tights and nice top.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Thanks, ladies! I got an outfit this weekend for the holidays and I think it will work. Black pants, ballet flats, a sequined party shell and matching cardigan to go over it. Now if I could just figure out how to do my hair...LOL!
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

Quote Originally Posted by megs4413 View Post
    Thanks, ladies! I got an outfit this weekend for the holidays and I think it will work. Black pants, ballet flats, a sequined party shell and matching cardigan to go over it. Now if I could just figure out how to do my hair...LOL!
    That will be perfect!
    DD1 Jan '10
    DD2 Jan '12

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by megs4413 View Post
    That sounds really nice! No advice on the hair (if you saw my lack of hairstyle, you'd understand. . )
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast