blue is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Question Quick help on CHEAP nursing tanks and Bras

I just found out that DH and I will be able to go to the bigger town and hour away today, and I will get a chance to look for some nursing bras and tanks. The town I live doesn't have a single store that sells any nursing gear. I need some quick help of suggestions of places that sell cheap, but good enough nursing wear. I was thinking of trying Target and the mall that has lots of department stores. Any stores that have a good selection, or brands I should be on the look out for? I was not able to nurse DS1 so this is all new to me, and thanks for your help!

ETA: And I defiantly need bras that don't cost $50/bra, that is not in the budget right now.
    DS1
    DS2
    DD1

queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If you are normal-sized I would definitely go to Target first. The mall might have a maternity store (Motherhood) where you can shop and the big department stores will also have what you need in their maternity sections.

If you're larger than average, I don't know... I'm a 36f or g right now and having to order my nursing bras online, and yes, they cost a pretty penny.

Lara
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, Target has the Gilligan O'Malley brand nursing tanks. They are $15 if I remember right and they are worth the $$. They aren't Bravado, but they are comfy and functional. Also check online - I remember they used to run on sale pretty frequently.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree that target is probably your best bet.

I'd try their gilligan and omalley tanks and maybe their bravado partner brand.

I vastly prefer tanks to regular bras so I'd focus on those. They make it nursing in public a lot more discreet because your belly is covered and nothing really show when you pull your shirt up and the tank cup down.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'd try on the Gilligan & O'Malley tanks first. They are cheap, but they've changed the design in the last year, so they may not work for you. (IME the newer design is cut fuller but the clips don't stay snapped shut, which can be frustrating. Also, I kind of liked the "separator" soft cup-less-cups and the newer style is more of a shelf-bra style without any separator.)

Also, while they wash well (and I've had my older ones for 2.5 yrs) they do tend to shrink a bit, so I'd buy bigger than you think you'll need and air dry if you can.

Target also carries a line by Bravado, but I wouldn't necessarily call them "cheap" ... though they are slightly less expensive than full-price Bravado online.

I don't know where you're located, OP, but I found the selection at the Motherhood mall shops to be fairly paltry for my fuller figure (um, 38E/F at my fullest?) but it was good to see all the different styles of bra available.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Yes, Target has the Gilligan O'Malley brand nursing tanks. They are $15 if I remember right and they are worth the $$. They aren't Bravado, but they are comfy and functional. Also check online - I remember they used to run on sale pretty frequently.
    I lived in these tanks for 3.5 years was very sad to give them up. My original tanks would have lasted through DS2 but I bought new tanks because the first were stained.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    I lived in these tanks for 3.5 years was very sad to give them up. My original tanks would have lasted through DS2 but I bought new tanks because the first were stained.
    I still wear mine to bed I know DH hates it. Haha.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My favorite nursing bra is from Target, but a few years old.

Since you said cheap....Walmart has some $5 bras in junior sizes that I like now that I am no longer leaking. They are just cami style I guess and have lace at the top so look ok if they show. Very very comfy. They have some padding and are just really easy to lift up or down for nursing. I looked for a link before and couldn't find it. They come in really bright colors. The only downside is that the padding is removable so comes out in the wash and you have to stuff it back in.

Another vote for Gillian O'Malley at Target. If you can't find them in your store, look online. I know alot of the smaller stores aren't carrying them anymore. These are the ONLY nursing tanks and bras I own. Also, you may find a larger selection online than in the store.
    --------
    DS - Adopted by loving parents 1995
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

blue is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for your quick help ladies! I am off to the bigger town now. If anyone has anymore suggestions, feel free to post since I should be able to look for more nursing gear after DS2 is born in late December.
    DS1
    DS2
    DD1