Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default would you wear this skirt to work?

I bought a couple of these corduroy skirts at Banana Republic today (i got one charcoal and one in the camel color). It looked like something I could wear to work that wasn't too flashy or dressy. Despite trying tons of pants on I did not succeed in finding work pants, bc I am dealing with have a MAJOR muffin top issue (i'm very apple-shaped, all my weight goes to my tummy, still haven't lost all the baby weight). I'm starting to find that skirts, especially shorter ones, work well for me bc i have really long, skinny legs so it helps me look more "balanced" and it helps hide the spare tire(s).

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...&pid=233606002

Anyway I came home and showed DH and he immediately gives me grief about how they're too short, inappropriate for work, etc. I plan to wear them with tights & boots, if that matters. I'll be working as engineer, maybe half the time at a computer, the other half in a lab with machines, etc. Apparently DH thinks that if you work with machines than dresses & skirts are a no-no bc then you can't really be crawling around to plug things in and what not. Though I don't think it will be a big issue.

Oh and an important point... this skirt looks WAAY shorter on the model than it does on me...i am only 5'6". I would say it was maybe 3inches above the knee on me (on the model it looks much more!)
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 11-18-2012 at 05:43 PM.

If it isn't as short as it is on the model it is probably fine. On me, it would be way too short. But I work for a church so I dress conservatively for work.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't really go above my knee (top of the knee - so you can see my knee but not more) at work, even with tights and boots. But a fairly conservative office.

I think 3 inches above the knee is short for most workplaces. I'm not sure tall boots make it more conservative, with a short skirt boots can lend a go-go quality. That being said, the younger women at my office would wear those skirts, and it would be fine, but we aren't very conservative.
    Last edited by TwinFoxes; 11-18-2012 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'd wear it for sure. With tights and boots.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Three inches above the knee with tights and boots (flat one - no heels) would be fine in my workplace (a school). Shorter would be pushing it.
    Green Tea, mom to three

joules is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would. I don't think there's anything wrong with above the knee skirts. But our workplace is definitely more relaxed. Tights and boots would definitely make it safer.

Btw, that's a cute skirt!!
    DS1 - 03/10
    DS2 - 02/12

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think it would be a cute outfit. The length itself doesn't bother me since you would be wearing it with black tights and boots. But I'm not sure that it is a "crawling in equipment" skirt. I don't know how much of that you do though or if your "crawling in equipment" is the same sort of "crawling in equipment" that I used to do. I would just keep that in mind.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think it would be perfectly fine with opaque tights and boots. As long as you're not talking fishnets!!!
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Cute skirts!

So do you know if you will have an actual office or if it's an open room type of environment? B/c at the last place where I went into an office everyone's desk was really just a table with a file cabinet which meant and my desk faced out, not against the wall so... no front coverage if the skirt rode up when I sat down, kwim? I wore skirts, but we sort of jerryrigged an old sign we weren't using to make sure there was a "front" so to speak on my desk. Out of 3 women I was the only that ever wore skirts or dresses...I didn't wear them that often, but it was sort of expected of us that we would do whatever we needed to do as far as setting up our own computers, work environment - crawling under desks, around machines, etc., but I'm not in EE and you would have a better sense of your work environment.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast