Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by fivi2 View Post
    I don't really go above my knee (top of the knee - so you can see my knee but not more) at work, even with tights and boots. But a fairly conservative office.
    This is me too, although I do like the skirt!
    Lizi

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Don't know but I bought it for me. Super cute! My Nordstrom cord skirt wasn't great so I needed a new one.

I agree that the skirt is cute For me, the decision would be based on where it falls. 3" above the knee for me would still be in the OK zone, but pushing it. But that particular skirt on me I think would be well above that. I'm not super tall (I'm 5'7") but I have to order tall skirts from Boden just to have them fall on me the way they do in the catalog. I think it's because I'm longer in the legs than in the torso. I also have to crawl around sometimes at work and I usually try to plan which days those might be and wear pants. For my own personal comfort I prefer that a skirt be closer to the knee because of what might happen when I sit, or bend over.

My workplace has a "soft" dress code and skirts are supposed to be at or around the knee, no jeans, and no bare arms (sleeveless tops). Mind you, my principal enjoys wearing a leather pencil skirt So, I guess I'd see what your particular workplace culture is first? Though, I get that since you're in engineering that might be more difficult.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

I suppose I am on the conservative side--I would say that it is not appropriate for your workplace especially if you have to occasionally be on the floor. I am not in engineering, but I am guessing that it is a male-dominated profession. What if even a few people at work had the same thoughts as your husband?

If you really like the skirt, I would keep it for weekend wear.
    DS1: 3/09
    DS2: 2/11
    DS3: 3/13

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

thanks for the replies everyone!

i know i won't have my own office..it will be a cubicle, but they have walls, thankfully (i cannot imagine not having a wall behind my desk...eek!). i will definitely wait a few days to see how the workplace dress code is before wearing them. in all the companies i've worked at (i've worked at 5 different companies, as an EE or intern) jeans are not used (one company allowed it on Fridays). Suits are only for customer meetings/presentations (rare, especially at my level). Most people wear khakis and some dressy top.

Ideally i'd not wear skirts/dresses but it is just so freaking hard to find nice pants that work given my current body time. I have a pair of khakis from Anthro that i really like, but not much else. Skirts/dresses are not only more flattering, but more comfortable bc when i sit down (which will be most of the time) i don't have the waistband digging into my stomach. Plus, with most pants i often have to hike them up throughout the day, which is annoying. Anyway, i figure on days when i know i'll be in the lab for several hours i won't wear skirts/dresses, and mostly will leave them for days i know i will be Powerpointing most of the day...
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 11-19-2012 at 12:46 AM.

sweetsue98 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Super cute but too short in my opinion.

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, with dark, opaque tights.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    in all the companies i've worked at (i've worked at 5 different companies, as an EE or intern) jeans are not used (one company allowed it on Fridays). ...
    Wow. That's crazy. We can wear whever. The last people I interviewed, more than half wore jeans to the interview. Clearly, I would say the skirts are fine.

I love living in super casual land!
    Sweetie Pies, DS 9/2004 & DS 4/2008

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach_in_Ca View Post
    Wow. That's crazy. We can wear whever. The last people I interviewed, more than half wore jeans to the interview. Clearly, I would say the skirts are fine.

WOW are you serious?? Jeans to an interview?? Even as an EE, i have never seen that. I've only interviewed though at big companies (no startups or small businesses)

The last company i worked at was in California, but even still, jeans only on Fridays. Maybe bc it was a very international company though (most were not US citizens and were from all over...we didn't get holidays off for this reason), and i think folks from other countries (e.g. many parts of Asia) people are used to dressing up more formally for work..i don't know.

when i went for the interview at this company, i didn't notice anybody wearing jeans.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 11-19-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach_in_Ca View Post

Me too and I thought most engineering companies would be like that. I would totally wear that skirt to work with tights and boots. I'm the only woman in the group so I set the standard for women's wear . Most men wear jeans + ratty tshirt or sweatshirt and on a good day when we have visitors might bother with a shirt.
    DS1 - 08
    DS2 - 11

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast