acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Belts over shirts/sweaters

I love this look when I see it on other people or in stores, but I can't seem to put it together myself! Thinking maybe I have the wrong belts? Anyone have a belt they love for wearing over a longer shirt/ sweater (or even sweater dress)? What should I be looking for? Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I've decided some styles are just not me. This is one of them. I did get a good (in style, not quality ) belt at H&M. I took a handful to the dressing room and tried them with the dresses I'd want them with. I knew what was on trend and flattering. It just doesn't feel like me at all when I wear belts. I wish it did b/c I like the look too. Anyway, go to the store and just keep trying them on!

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I like the look of the lower belt - not right around the waist, and I thought it was a good look for me twenty years ago I would love to try it again.

But, I cannot find a belt that will work. Old Navy had one online, but I couldn't find it irl. I need a belt I can angle down toward my hips.

So I do think it is all about the belt - but I haven't found the right one!

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I love belts because my waist is my best feature and defines my petite yet pear shaped body. Most of my sweaters are a more fine gauge so I do a skinny belt with those. For a chunkier sweater I do a wider, chunkier belt. If a belt doesn't look good around the cardigan then I sometimes belt the shirt under the cardi and leave the cardi unbuttoned. One thing that I've found really important is that the sweater has to be more fitted or else you get a lot of bunching and it looks odd. Look for something with a tailored cut and not boxy. Also something that fits well at the arm holes or else you look like you have bat wings when your arms are extended.

Here's a couple of pics I've posted before in "what are you wearing" threads. Unfortunately I don't have one with a chunkier belt though I do own a couple.
    Last edited by wendibird22; 12-13-2012 at 12:22 PM.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.