kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Moby Wrap or Gemini with a peanut

DS2 is 6 pounds. I got him all secured in the Moby and he was loving it...then I read you are supposed to wait until baby is 8 pounds. I got nervous and took him out. He was born at 37w5d and is healthy, just a little peanut. Anyone have experience with using a Moby or similar with a smaller babe? I saw the Gemini is 7 pounds so I didn't try that one either. DS1 was 2 weeks older and a little bigger when born but I only used the Moby once or twice because I exclusively pumped and by the time I got him wrapped it seemed like it was always time to pump again. We had the BBII with him not the Gemini. Just wondering if anyone used these before the recommended weight.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Congrats on the new arrival!

I used both before 8 pounds. I posted at thebabywearer.com with the exact same question, and the ladies over there explained the 8 pound thing will become a standard guideline, but if baby is healthy and strong and you follow all the safety checks there shouldn't be any problem.

My 6 lb peanut was happier in the Gemini, mainly I think 'cause she liked having her arms and legs out (she hated swaddling, too). She prefers the Gemini to this day, actually (I have a Moby, a ring sling and a baby k'tan as well, I went a little overboard, LOL). FWIW DD was born at 40 weeks (but my DS was born at 38 exactly, he was heavier, however).
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The moby is fine, just make sure the airway remains clear...just like any carrier with a newborn.

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I used the Moby with DD before she was 8 lbs. (I think I posted about it here!) I was super careful to watch her airway, which I think is the biggest concern with a young baby of any weight. I'd comfortably use the Moby again with an under-8 lb baby. Mine loved swaddling, so she was in heaven all tucked in there! It was my favorite carrier for the first few months.
    Lizi

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks ladies!! I was guessing as long as I made sure his airway was clear and his chin wasn't to his chest he would be ok. He loves being squished and swaddled and the few minutes he was in the Moby he was very happy.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

Yeah, the 8 lb thing is sort of a liability labeling requirement. If you pays attention to good positioning and airway, and stay aware of baby, you can use them for smaller babes. I know of mamas who wrap premies.