pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Snow-area moms: different coat for playing in the snow?

I've always had a ski-type jacket in addition to a longer down parka, but only used it when I went out in the snow with the boys. I don't ski at all; it was more for snowball fights and snow angels. I can't zip up my 10-year old jacket anymore, so I'm looking for a new one. I recently saw some water-resistant down parkas and am wondering how well they actually work for snow play. I'd love to have one coat that does it all, kind of like that elusive stroller!

What does your winter coat lineup look like?

mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This might not be the answer you are looking for but I have 3.

- Long down parka for super-cold days or if I am walking outdoors. I also use this as my "work coat". It seems a bit more formal than my shorter jacket.
    - Short down jacket for in and out of the car. I mainly use this on weekends or if I'm going out somewhere casual in the evening with DH and want something nicer than a ski jacket.
    - Columbia ski jacket - This is more waterproof so |I use it for sledding, skiing, and other outdoor playtime with the kids.
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeys_mom View Post
    This might not be the answer you are looking for but I have 3.

- Long down parka for super-cold days or if I am walking outdoors. I also use this as my "work coat". It seems a bit more formal than my shorter jacket.
    - Short down jacket for in and out of the car. I mainly use this on weekends or if I'm going out somewhere casual in the evening with DH and want something nicer than a ski jacket.
    - Columbia ski jacket - This is more waterproof so |I use it for sledding, skiing, and other outdoor playtime with the kids.
    I have 3 similar coats. A longer (kind of shimmery) down parka, a short down jacket and a waterproof ski jacket that has a couple layers that zip in/out.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I bought a super cheap ski type coat at TJ Maxx for outside play b/c I just rarely need it. Costco has some good deals too.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I MISREAD THE POST. I thought you were asking about what the kids have. I have a ski parka and then other coats. Ski parka is specifically for skiing or playing in the snow or walking to dog in freezing weather (it is super warm) or cleaning the car of snow etc
    Last edited by hillview; 11-26-2012 at 07:22 PM.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

I have a long down parka (knee length) that I wear walking around and out in the cold for longer (it used to be my commuter coat). And I just ordered a shorter down jacket (hip length) from Lands End that I plan to wear out playing in the snow. DD is 3.5 and I think this might be the first year when she will actually want to play in the snow lol. This will be my casual jacket for driving too. I also wear a vest only if we just go to the car and indoors somewhere.
    My sweet and curly haired DD 4
    ...and expecting someone new mid April 2014

i have about 15 winter coats. lol. whoops!

short downs, long downs, long wools, short wools, running down jacket, ski jacket, short faux furs, longer faux fur, thicker leather.... i love coats and don't think i could ever be happy with just one

for playing in the snow i wear a longer fitted down jacket. i like my butt covered for warmth but not so baggy that snow can get up inside it.

cono0507 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I own too many jackets/coats but...
    I prefer to wear a shorter jacket for playing in the snow because I worry that if i wear a long down jacket and Im sledding, I could rip the part I'm seated on.
    I wear either my ski jacket or a short down jacket for playing in the snow.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I have an LL Bean Wind Challenger fleece for above freezing, and a hip-length puffy down coat for colder.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks, all! Good point about the perils of wearing a long coat while sledding -- I hadn't thought of that! I think I'll head to TJMaxx and look for a shorter ski jacket.