Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Which came first...Potty training or transition to a big kid bed?

DD is newly 2 and we aren't PT yet. She likes her crib and I would like to keep her in it for a while if possible. She has expressed interest (and gone) on the potty over the last few months, but lately doesn't seem interested. We just told her about stickers (she loves stickers) as incentive if she goes on the toilet, but we aren't pushing her. However, I would expect we will be potty training her sometime within the next year.

I definitely don't want to do both simultaneously and had always thought we would potty train first. However, if she does get potty trained first, then how do you handle nights if she is still sleeping in her crib?

Do most kids get daytime potty trained first and still wear diapers during nap and nighttime or do you go cold turkey for it all? I have no clue. Would love to hear about your experience and any advice.

cono0507 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Can vary widely regarding the age they stay dry at night. Some kids sleep so deeply they aren't ready to be dry at night for a while.
    DS was day and night trained at the same time around age 3.
    DD was dry during the day at 2.5 and is just now staying dry at night at age 5.

I didn't have the crib issue since both of mine climbed out of their cribs around 18 months and transitioned to toddler beds at that point.
    Last edited by cono0507; 11-26-2012 at 08:58 PM.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We switched DS to a toddler bed at 2.5, with no problems. He is 2.75 and is still in diapers 95% of the time...not gonna try potty training till 3 or so..he's just not that interested right now.

For nighttime and naps for a potty trained kid, i imagine you just use nighttime pullups then.

DD1 potty trained at about 27 months, but was still in diapers for naps and overnight for another year. She went from the crib straight to a big girl bed when she was about 2.75 years old. No real issues doing it that way, although she probably could have done away with diapers completely earlier than she did, I just decided to wait till the summer so we could focus on it more since I have time off then.

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We transitioned to a BBB at 2yrs 4 months and PT at 2 yrs 5 months. However, just now at 3yrs 9 months is he dry at night ( however, we are the midst of a night time regression).

Dr C is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Both kids potty trained first (a few months shy of 3) and then transitioned to a big kid bed within a month or two. DD has been dry at night pretty much the whole time but still will call me if she needs to go potty at night--doesn't seem to have the idea that she can just get up and go, LOL! DS wasn't dry at night until nearly 6.
    My sweet boy 8/06
    My beautiful girl 10/09

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD1 was dry at night immediately upon daytime PT. DD2 still wears a pull-up at night. They were both still in their cribs when they PT. I'd use a pull-up (or just a nighttime diaper, really) at night. You'll know if she's ready to nighttime PT if she keeps the pull-up dry for several nights in a row (that's how we knew with DD1).

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Both DD and DS potty trained first. DD was potty trained right around 2 and stayed in her crib til almost 3. She wore a pull up at bedtime and nap til around then too. DS has been potty trained for a few weeks (at 2.5) and is still in the crib with no plans to move him to a bed right now.

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We PT in July & went to a big kid bed in Sept. He still calls us to help him get to the bathroom at night even though he can get out of bed on his own.
    DS 2/09

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We did big kid bed, then PT. But it didn't really make a difference, the first month or two she still called us when she needed to get up to pee at night.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast