Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Best Marble Run???

I want to buy DS a marble run for Christmas. He is almost 5 years old. I've seen good things about the Discovery Toys marble run set, but that is going to be around $68.

This set at LakeShore Learning has good reviews, but I cant figure out what brand it is, its just called the Super Fun Marble Run and its $29.99
    http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/pro...=1354043547974

There is a wooden set called the Quadrilla Twist & Rail set that looks pretty cool. Its more expensive at $129. We already have a train table that could be used to build it on.
    http://www.magiccabin.com/quadrilla-special_p1871.html

Does anyone have a marble run that their kids really like?

Oh, last there is this one from Discount School Supply. It has 4.5 stars, 185 reviews and comes with 101 pieces.
    http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/...Brand=&Price=#
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

When my brothers and I were kids, we had one most similar to the Lakeshore Learning one. I believe my mother ordered it from Discovery Toys or another at-home party business. Ours was called "Marble Works" or something similar.

We used to spend hours playing with the thing together, which was in and of itself a feat because we're very different kids.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I just did a ton of researching and agonizing over this for my DS's 6th bday. I went with the Marbulous brand. I got one set on Amazon (transparent 48 piece I believe) and a 121 piece set from One Step Ahead (through Amazon). It has only been a week but so far we like it. The pieces from each set are interchangeable. DS can build himself but sometimes needs a little help. The pieces are sturdy and well made.

I eliminated the wooden ones b/c the reviews said they did not snap together in any way so would easily fall if bumped into. The Discovery Toys one is called Marbleworks. I debated that one but there is only 1 set plus 2 small add-ons and I decided we needed one that we could expand further if there was an interest. I also looked at Quarceri (sp?) but did not have great reviews and at Galt which apparently was great but redesigned and now does not work as well.

kristac is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have marbleworks but my almost 8 year old wants to "trade" it in for the one in your third link because of the looptaloop. The marbleworks one is great however and all three boys play with it all the time. Easy to put together and stays together well.
    "Someday, I am going to go to bed without toys on the floor and sippys in my sink. Things will stay where I put them and I can have nice, fragile items on display. But when I do, I will look around with a wistfullness in my heart and miss the days where vibrant imaginations ran wild and there was evidence of life happening around me all the time!"

We have a marble set like the third one you linked. I was super cheap last year from JC Penney. Its great, especially after I bought glass marble run marbles to use in it, the plastic ones don't work well. Its a fun toy but my kids lose interest in it quickly. I have a friend whose mom has collected a lot of the discovery toys pieces via garage sales and she has her kids are only so so on it too. Its fun for a few days then the kids lose interest quickly too. I pull it out maybe once a month and they play with it for a little while then it just becomes clutter getting int he way. My 2 cents is to not spend a lot on a marble run.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We have several of the quadrilla sets and when they are up, they are impressive! But honestly, we've had them for about 3 years but it ws only recently that my boys are really starting to enjoy them. Before this age, either they would or their younger sibs would bump them and all the wooden pieces would fall. Thye'd get totally discouraged because these are time consuming to erect. But now Cha Cha loves experimenting with the pieces and making new runs. Greenbean and Sisi enjoy helping him. And when they work, they a really cool!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We have one of the plastic ones - maybe quercetti? I got it at a consignment sale for maybe $5. it does the job. I'd rather spend the money on magnatiles.

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    We have one of the plastic ones - maybe quercetti? I got it at a consignment sale for maybe $5. it does the job. I'd rather spend the money on magnatiles.
    Well we already have magnatiles and are getting another 100 set for Xmas. DS is currently saving paper towel tubes from paper towels and toilet paper to make marble runs, so I thought getting him one for Xmas might be good. I just want it to stand up on its own and not be a total POS.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

We have a HABA one and it's fun but I'd recommend a set that has pieces that connect together - much more fun and less frustrating. If I had to do it all over I'd get one of the plastic sets, or a Quercetti.

I've also seen ones that stick to a wall, like they have at the Boston Children's Museum - if I had a playroom with an open wall/chalkboard wall I'd go for that.

KDsMommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

That Lakeshore Learning marble run looks really good for the price. For $29.99 I'm really considering getting one for DS from Santa.
    Christie
    DS '07
    DSS '09
    DSS '12
    DD1 9/21/14

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast