Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Playmobil now or later? (5yo)

DD is turning 5 two days before Christmas. She saw the Playmobil section at a local toy store and got super excited, so it made it to the Christmas list. I am a little worried about all the tiny pieces though. We have a 22-month-old who can't really be trusted to not stick things in his mouth, and they share a bedroom. Should we hold off on tiny things like Playmobil for another year or two? Or just remove the smallest pieces and stick them in a box somewhere for now? I was also thinking she might like the Lego Friends stuff but same deal...
    DD - 12/07
    DS - 1/11

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

i would give it to her now. If you wait until your 22 month is "old enough" she will be to old to really enjoy them. I never made any of my 4 wait for a toy because of a younger sibling. I wouldn't take the pieces away either. my younger 3 survived legos, playmobil, game pieces, marbles and a host of other small objects.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I say now but keep it out of the bedroom and in a bin you can get out when baby is occupied or asleep for the next 6 mo. .
    K

KDsMommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    I say now but keep it out of the bedroom and in a bin you can get out when baby is occupied or asleep for the next 6 mo. .
    Playmobil is great fun at this age.
    Christie
    DS '07
    DSS '09
    DSS '12
    DD1 9/21/14

Now. If you wait, she might be too old. You can also just put the tiny pieces you're worried about somewhere else- Playmobil is still great play value without them. Or put them in a safe place and your DD should be old enough to understand to keep them away from a younger sib.
    C
    DS1 (04)
    DS2 (07)

Now is great - but my 9 yo DD1 still plays with it (and asked for a couple of add on pieces for Christmas). So I would not worry too much about being too old. Plus, your younger DC will grow into it very soon.

I was thrilled to see they brought back the "gender neutral" castle that has normal, stone and timber colors, and king and queen and knights all living together. (For a while there, they had a black and red "boy" castle with lots of weapons and tough looking people, and then a white and gold "girl" castle with a prince and princess and "wedding" stuff - ugh! Talk about stereotyping! But they seem to have remembered their commitment to "open play" again. LOL.)

By far, our best and most played with sets have been the circus (the Big Top is huge but makes an amazing present under the tree - set it up the night before or you will spend an hour on Christmas morning) with the tight rope walkers (DH and I love these too), and the animal hospital.

If we were to get a big set this year I'd go for the school - it is adorable.

Have fun!!! And welcome to the obsession. Sign up on their site and they have very good coupons.

mom2khj is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sophiesmom03 View Post
    Now is great - but my 9 yo DD1 still plays with it (and asked for a couple of add on pieces for Christmas). So I would not worry too much about being too old. Plus, your younger DC will grow into it very soon.

I was thrilled to see they brought back the "gender neutral" castle that has normal, stone and timber colors, and king and queen and knights all living together. (For a while there, they had a black and red "boy" castle with lots of weapons and tough looking people, and then a white and gold "girl" castle with a prince and princess and "wedding" stuff - ugh! Talk about stereotyping! But they seem to have remembered their commitment to "open play" again. LOL.)

By far, our best and most played with sets have been the circus (the Big Top is huge but makes an amazing present under the tree - set it up the night before or you will spend an hour on Christmas morning) with the tight rope walkers (DH and I love these too), and the animal hospital.

Have fun!!! And welcome to the obsession. Sign up on their site and they have very good coupons.
    I totally agree. DD1 is 10 and it's the most played with toy she owns. She is asking for the horse farm for Christmas. The school was a huge hit too (DD2 got that for her 6th birthday).
    mom to DD1 (17), DD2 (14) and DS (9)

Quote Originally Posted by sophiesmom03 View Post

I'm not the OP but I found this post really helpful. Is this the animal hospital you're referring to: http://store.playmobilusa.com/on/dem...gid=Tierklinik

My son will be 4 1/2 at christmas. He already has the take along vet set which he loves and the dragon rock set that is scored for $1 at a barnes and noble sale a couple years ago. For christmas he's getting the police car and the recycling truck from santa and from his grandparents he's getting the large zoo, ranger truck with rhino and the zebra add on set. WE dont' have the younger sibling issue but we do have a dog that eats things. We are also getting into legos instead of duplos now so i have to watch him a little more closely when he plays.
    Renee
    (mommom to Noah my beautiful Ethiopian miracle. born 6/26/08 forever a family 4/20/09)

Quote Originally Posted by sf333 View Post
    I'm not the OP but I found this post really helpful. Is this the animal hospital you're referring to: http://store.playmobilusa.com/on/dem...gid=Tierklinik
    Yes, that's the set! DD1 has always really loved animals so this was right up her alley. It's nice and sturdy (all of Playmobil is IMO, and if a piece breaks they will replace it) and does not fall apart if you move it. (The Big Top is awesome but BIG so requires longer arms to move it around...)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast