Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default cloth diaper, disposable insert - why is it so hard?

So let me start-off by saying we're expecting at this point, and I have no real world experience in diaper changing.

I can't bring myself to do the full cloth system... don't want the extra water costs, can't bring myself to launder it, etc.

But... I did like the idea of a cloth shell with a disposable insert. Seems to be more environmentally friendly, seems like an insert should cost less than a full disposable, etc

All I've found on the disposable insert horizon is Grovia, Flips, and Gdiapers. Gdiaper inserts are the least expensive, but still roughly $.30 each, when disposables are only $.22 each.

Is there anyone out there who uses cloth shells and 100% of the time uses disposable inserts that can help me here or should I just go to Huggies and say screw it?

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I used gDiapers for a while, but DH flipped at the cost. We went 100% cloth diaper after that.

I love the gDiapers, BUT, be careful with your plumbing, if it's old or you have a septic system DO NOT flush anything (except the poop of course) down the toilet. We never had issues but I know of people who did and then paid a fortune for repairs.

Also if you go the gDiaper route watch the videos on their webpage, so you learn how to get a good fit and not have leaks.

FWIW I love cloth diapering, it's way easier than I expected, we saved a fortune and I didn't see a real difference in our utilities. I started with a trial program (Jillian's Drawers) so I could test it before committing and also so I could see what diaper worked best for us.
    Last edited by edurnemk; 11-28-2012 at 05:32 PM.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We use gDiapers, Flip covers, gDiaper disposable inserts, and gDiaper cloth inserts. We use the disposable inserts for nap, overnight(2), and when we're out and about. We also use the disposable inserts in the newborn size gDiapers as they work best in that size.

We use newborn gDiapers from birth as the first diaper both our boys were in at the hospital. Once they outgrow the newborn size we use small and medium gDiapers with disposables and cloth gDiaper inserts. We rotate Flip diaper covers into the mix once the kids are big enough to fit them without leaks. Once they outgrow the gDiapers we go to Flips with gDiaper disposable and cloth inserts exclusively. We prefer the Flip covers as they are on piece.

I know you said you don't want to do cloth and I'm not sure of your reason but if you change your mind it is truly easy. We just plop the solids off into the toiled and toss the dirty cover and insert into our wetbag for laundry day. No big deal. Never used a diaper sprayer and we don't do much extra laundry due to the cloth diapers.

I buy my gDiaper inserts on Amazon Subscribe and Save with the Amazon Mom discount. I don't know how the price compares to traditional disposables because they were never an option for us. I don't like the chemicals they use and the fact that they don't break down forever. gDiaper inserts are compostable or flushable. Or you can put them in biodegradable trash bags.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kaharris83 View Post
    I know you said you don't want to do cloth and I'm not sure of your reason but if you change your mind it is truly easy. We just plop the solids off into the toiled and toss the dirty cover and insert into our wetbag for laundry day. No big deal. Never used a diaper sprayer and we don't do much extra laundry due to the cloth diapers.
    It really isn't much work, especially if you're already prepared to wash the covers regularly.

From an environmental perspective you're supposed to flush solids so you should be doing that with any diapering system so that isn't really a factor.

I skipped the disposable inserts because of the plumbing concerns. I tried a package or two and they worked fine but I couldn't justify the added cost compared to regular disposables. I now use cloth at home and for short trips out but use regular disposables for longer outings and overnight trips where carrying all the cloth diapers would be cumbersome.

If you do venture into cloth diaper territory I'd also recommend cloth wipes to save money and use less chemicals.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I was already to start using GDiapers with Dd1 when they came out in 2007(?), but then I watched the video and the light turne on that I should just be flushing solid waste from the sposie diapers so I just used sposies. Had no guilt what so ever, although while pregnant wanted to cloth diaper, but never for the diaper service started (ended up having that for three months with DD2 and loves it until Dd2 started getting rashes (we thought from the diaper detergent the service used).

I agree that cloth diapers aren't that much a harder especially if you are already washin the shells. Non cotton diapers can be a bit tricky to keep clean and stick free vs. cotton prefolds you can bleach and wash in regular detergent, but I really like my Bum Genius diapers (I used the 3.0 sized diapers they no longer make, but their 4.0 version which you stuff is really nice as well), Fuzzi Bunz One Size, Flip covers with cotton prefolds, and I have a few of the Flip system sposie insert (free with a cottonbabies.com order), but we haven't used them as much as I thought we would. We also have one Tots Bot diaper that I live and if I were a new mom I'd want those, and the Bum Genius 4.0 diaper. I like them both a lot especially when we are out. When we are home I use the prefolds with covers.

Six years ago when I had my daughter there was much less choice so be very grateful there is still more choices.

FWIW we still use sposies at our daycare, but using cloth the rest of the time limits how many sposies we have to buy, and I love that.

Welcome to the board.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 11-28-2012 at 05:28 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

ZivaZ is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

One factor to consider: will your child be entering daycare after a short maternity leave? We used cloth diapers for the first year, with a pickup service, and really liked it. We only stopped when our daycare changed their policy to permit only "all-in-one" cloth diapers with a specific kind of collection bin. It would have meant a complete change of diapering system for us, significant new expense, and no more diaper service. So we switched to disposables full time. It wasn't what we wanted, but we liked that daycare.

The point is: if you plan to have your child in a daycare, find out what their cloth diapering policies are. If they support one kind of cloth diapering but not another, you want to know that before you invest in a diaper system, especially if you plan to wash your own diapers instead of using a service.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express

ok maybe someone can walk me through how easy it is to use cloth diapers.

I'm a stay at home mom, so no daycare. We have a high efficiency front load washer.

I'm happy to wash the "wet" diapers. But what I'm worried about is #2. Especially when they are young and there is no solids. I'm squeamish about this stuff already, and the quickest way to get the baby clean and all that gross stuff out of my hands and out from under my nose, the better.

Can someone help me with the specific details about how cloth diapers are easy when dealing with a liquid or semi-liquid #2?

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

IME cloth diapers are actually easiest before solids. After the meconium stage passes the liquid poop doesn't smell too bad and doesn't need to be flushed before washing. Solid poop is a little nastier but it's one of those things you get used to with any type of diapers. Most of the poop handling happens when you change the diaper and after that you're just tipping a wet bag into the washer.

You take diaper off baby and put in wetbag. (for all-in-ones. With a flip you would take out the liner and replace with a clean one.)

On wash day you dump all your dipes and wipes in the wash. (usually no touching involved) I do one handwash cycle on cold followed by a hot towel cycle with an extra rinse and a scoop of soap.

Most of my dipes and inserts go in the dryer.

That's it. You don't have to worry about poop until solids at around 6 months. I can promise you that by then poop won't phase you nearly as bad as you think it will.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Dena

Super Crunchy Mama to:
    ('06) The big guy

('09) The little guy

('12) and the diva

Learning to live with MSPI, FPIES and Food Allergies.

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by beej210 View Post
    ok maybe someone can walk me through how easy it is to use cloth diapers.

I'm a stay at home mom, so no daycare. We have a high efficiency front load washer.

I'm happy to wash the "wet" diapers. But what I'm worried about is #2. Especially when they are young and there is no solids. I'm squeamish about this stuff already, and the quickest way to get the baby clean and all that gross stuff out of my hands and out from under my nose, the better.

Can someone help me with the specific details about how cloth diapers are easy when dealing with a liquid or semi-liquid #2?
    Actually poop before solids is the easiest. It doesn't smell like kid or grown up poop, BTW. You don't have to empty it in the toilet obviously. Before solids you treat the diaper the same as with a wet one: Take it off and toss it in the diaper pail (we use a garbage can with a locking lid with a pail liner in it). On laundry day you empty the pail liner in the washer and toss the liner in there, too, then you do one cycle to rinse out poop and pee (newborn poop is water soluble), followed by a cycle with hot water, detergent and extra rinse. Then put them in the dryer. You're done and you never had to touch the stuff (I have an HE FL washer, too). BTW, around 4-5 months it's the explosive poop phase and you will get almost daily blow outs with disposables, but I never got them with cloth diapers. So even with disposables you will have to deal with poopy stuff in your washer.

Once you start solids you can use flushable liners on the diaper and that way the poop doesn't stick to the diaper, you just empty it in the toilet, and proceed in the same way as described before. Another option is a diaper sprayer.

I understand being squeamish, but any mom will tell you that you get over it pretty quickly, you have to! I've been peed on, pooped on, vomited on... you name it. I never thought I'd be able to handle someone else's poop, yet here I am! I don't think I've had more contact with poop than I would've had using only disposables.

If you want any more info, advise or anything fell free to PM me. I'm on my second cloth diapered baby and have tried several types and brands (I'm absolutely in love with the Tots Bots Annie mentioned before, BTW).
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast