kmkaull is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Maternity Athletic Wear

I probably shouldn't admit how often I wear yoga/athletic pants, but the truth is that as a SAHM, I wear them a lot! I do manage to actually get to the gym every once in a while, too. ;-)

Any recommendations on good quality maternity athletic wear? All I am finding is Gap . . . others seem to be 100% cotton. I don't mind paying if the quality is good.

This is my second child, but first pregnancy. We adopted our son 3 years ago and now that I'm pregnant, I am trying to figure out the world of maternity clothes!

Thanks!

ilfaith is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I just wore my regular yoga pants (mostly C9 from Target) to work out during my pregnancies. I didn't even size up...they had enough stretch although the waistband may have migrated lower as my belly grew. For tops I wore mostly Old Navy ribbed tanks...some maternity, some not.

But Gap does make my favorite workout wear...I just didn't discover it until after my last pregnancy. And for the price, Old Navy has nice things as well (people always seem to ask me where I got the items I happened to buy at Old Navy)...ON does carry maternity activewear online too.

JenaW is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have lived in yoga pants this pregnancy too (hangs head in shame). I got mine from Walmart (danskin brand) and Old Navy (both capris and full length). Initially, I just wore my same size, but around 32 weeks I found I had gained enough weight in my butt and thighs that I needed to size up in some of the heavier material ones as I thought they were too clingy.

As for workout wear that you will actually work out in, finding maternity stuff is hard. I am a big fan of synthetic stuff if I will really be sweating. I love Athleta for all my workout needs when not pregnant (snow-shoeing, trudging (I can not call myself a runner yet), triathlons, etc) and was able to wear much of the tops until my belly got huge (which for me expecting #7 was early on). I did buy up a size (or two) in some of my favorite tops and was able to use many of them successfully (and hopefully they will work well for the first few weeks pp once I am able to start working out again). If they offer a TALL option, that is often helpful as the extra length will be useful in going over your belly, even if you don't consider yourself TALL to begin with. I also had some luck at ON and Target, but finding non-100% cotton was not easy, nor was finding things long enough at the bottom to cover my belly AND high enough/supportive enough on top to cover/accommodate my large chest. For much of my last trimester, until I was recently put on "restricted activity" due to my rising blood pressure, I resorted to a supportive non-cotton sports bra and non cotton undies under my regular yoga pants and a cotton or poly/cotton XL tee shirt. Not the best, but at least I was comfortable and covered and it worked. At home, if I was just doing yoga or a prenatal pilates DVD and no one was around, I did it in whatever was comfortable since no one else was around to see

kmkaull is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JenaW View Post
    I am a big fan of synthetic stuff if I will really be sweating.
    Me, too! Thanks for the good ideas. The waistband is starting to bother me on my regular clothes. I still have post-IVF bloat and still very swollen ovaries. I will check out Old Navy. I did order one pair of pants from LOFT and tried them on today. Oh my, they are fabulous. If we could just wear maternity clothes all of the time=heaven!