Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default For the All-Clad fans out there

This is one of my favorite pieces of cookware at an awesome price. Free shipping too!

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PR...BQtm1GB8vaUkdu

mjs64 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

This is my all time favorite pan too, at a great price!
    My baby boy is 3!

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

How big is this? I have a 12" skillet that I love, and I am wondering if this pan (which is 3 qt) is comparable in size, or bigger or smaller. I love the idea of this pan because of the lid, but I want to make sure it's not too small. FWIW, I love the 12" skillet, but find the 10" one too small, and the 14" skillet too big.

I bought this a few weeks back when it was on sale for $100:
    http://www.surlatable.com/product/PR...ered-Saute-Pan

For those of you who are more expert at cooking than me, what is the difference in the 2 pans?

I have a similar 5.5qt pan that I got from Amazon a few months back and love (currently OOS). It was my first SS multiclad piece, and I'm a convert now.

elbenn, how tall are the sides on the 12" that you like? That makes a big difference in how much it will hold. I like the larger size personally, but I bet you'd be happy with the 3qt.
    Last edited by indigo99; 11-28-2012 at 06:58 PM.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

Quote Originally Posted by geminimagk View Post
    I bought this a few weeks back when it was on sale for $100:
    http://www.surlatable.com/product/PR...ered-Saute-Pan

For those of you who are more expert at cooking than me, what is the difference in the 2 pans?
    One is cast iron enameled (yours), the other is stainless steel. Cast iron holds heat well but is heavy and takes longer to heat up than stainless steel. Both have many uses. I like stainless for a sauté pan and cast iron for a dutch oven for slow cooking (braises, stews, etc). Both can be put in the oven.
    My baby boy is 3!

Quote Originally Posted by elbenn View Post
    How big is this? I have a 12" skillet that I love, and I am wondering if this pan (which is 3 qt) is comparable in size, or bigger or smaller. I love the idea of this pan because of the lid, but I want to make sure it's not too small. FWIW, I love the 12" skillet, but find the 10" one too small, and the 14" skillet too big.
    Elbenn, the pan size is almost the same. The sauté pan has straight sides and the skillets are sloped (which eats into the pan surface dimensions just a bit). The main advantage of the sauté pan is the straight sides--they let it hold more depth-wise. But the sides get in the way of frying (use the skillet for that). My sauté pan is great for, for example, stuffing--holds lots till it melts down.

I have a 12" sauté pan and a 12" skillet and use them both all of the time. I wouldn't go bigger for either. Really, you only need one sauté pan (12 inches) but are likely to find uses for 3 sizes of skillets (8, 10, 12). For me, 14" is always too big.
    My baby boy is 3!

speo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mjs64 View Post
    Really, you only need one sauté pan (12 inches) but are likely to find uses for 3 sizes of skillets (8, 10, 12). For me, 14" is always too big.
    That's funny because I would say the reverse. I have many uses for different sized saute pans. It's a great deal - especially with the FS.
    DS1 2005 and DS2 2007

I personally use a 10" and 12" all the time. Don't see a need for 14" either, however i would like to have a pan with the straight sides.

I'm actually surprised though that the capacity is only 3qt. i would think it would be bigger.

For those that may be intersted in a bigger quart capacity, I suggest buying this pan. It holds 5qt (is 5" high vs. the All Clad which is 2.5" high):

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina...Cooker/5716485

The Tramontina TRIPLY pots and pans from Walmart are FABULOUS (make sure you get TRIPLY and not the cheaper versions if you purchase)! They are highly recommended by Cooks Illustrated and have amazing reviews. You (appartently) cannot tell the difference between them and AllClad. I've have the $220 10-piece set for about 3 months now and I LOVE them.

Don't mean to crash the post, I woud've jumped on this deal if the capacity were bigger jsut so I use and compare AC with Tramontina.
    Mom to DD 7/06, DS1 8/08 & DS2 9/11!

Thanks! Amazon has it for the same price right now too

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast