Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default 6.5 Year Old Wants To Quit Gymnastics - Advice Please

DS1 has been doing gymnastics for three years. He's not a star or anything, but he is pretty good at it. He was asked to participate in their competitive team program this past summer, but we turned it down because it was 4 hours a week (plus competitions) and just too much. So we put him back in the same class (1.5 hours) for this new session and he doesn't want to go. He was visibly upset last night. He says he doesn't like it, wants to quit, etc.

He does other stuff, like swim, soccer and basketball, plus Sunday School. I definitely don't think he will head to the Olympics or even do well in a couple of years (like not even middle school), but I just think gymnastics has been really good him. For example, he is obsessed with football; he catches a pass and does a backwards somersault. It's given him great confidence on the playground, confidence I am pretty sure he wouldn't have had had it not been for gymnastics. It is also something athletic to do during a long Chicago winter.

But . . . my parental wisdom learned from the BBB tells me that I should go with what he wants. I really want to trust his judgment yet I think the benefits of gymnastics have been amazing for him and will continue to be. Obviously, although he is not that type of kid, he can change his mind and he can start again in March if he wants to or join the team come summer. Thoughts?

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I say let him quit. He has given it enough time and decided he isn't interested. He can return to it. I mean, as long as he feels this way for more than a week or so, then I would go ahead and quit.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    I say let him quit. He has given it enough time and decided he isn't interested. He can return to it. I mean, as long as he feels this way for more than a week or so, then I would go ahead and quit.
    I have long since given up pushing on those sorts of things. It's pretty miserable to pay money and drag your kid to something- something that's supposed to be fun! He's plenty busy too so focusing time on other activities and leisure time might be nice. He really can go back if he wants to or he can take his skills and apply them elsewhere.

FWIW, I was good at gymnastics. They tried to recruit me for the team but I didn't want to log those hours or commitment. I wound up in dance and loved it. My mom always let me find my way in activities.

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Does he give a reason? Does he need to move up to a different level? Did all of his friend go to a different class?

I generally expect my girls (almost 7) to stick through the end of a season or session. If he has a good reason or seems legitimately traumatized I'd let him quit. But normal whining? I'd make him finish the session (or change classes - we did switch to a new class at little gym when they were young.)

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by fivi2 View Post
    Does he give a reason? Does he need to move up to a different level? Did all of his friend go to a different class?

I generally expect my girls (almost 7) to stick through the end of a season or session. If he has a good reason or seems legitimately traumatized I'd let him quit. But normal whining? I'd make him finish the session (or change classes - we did switch to a new class at little gym when they were young.)
    Yes, he finished the session. The new session starts this week. I think he wants to quit because it's pretty hard work. He has a great ability to push himself and would much rather exert that energy for a 95 degree soccer game than during gymnastics.

Mods, can you move this from Momwear? I don't know how it ended up here!

Sounds like he has more than enough other activities. I'd let him quit. Dd is the same age and we only do 1 activity at a time (swimming).
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

cono0507 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DD was in developmental gymnastics and last spring they wanted her to start coming 6 hours a week over 3 days. If we did this, we wouldn't have time in our schedule to do much else in the way of extra-curriculars. She decided to quit gymnastics and now does swimming, dance and soccer.
    To be honest, DD was good at gymnastics but wanted to do a lot of other things too. She's in the 99%ile for height, so realistically, gymnastics likely wouldn't have been a long term sport for her.

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

At the end of a session I would let him quit.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I agree about letting him quit, but I will add , it's a shame he has to choose to specialize so young. Even not competing it's hard work ... Too bad he can't do a ' just for fun / maintain skills ' class.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast