Default Black leather riding boots (I know--not a new topic.)

I have typically only skimmed over the boot threads, because last year, I wasn't finding many pairs of pants that fit me that were "boot friendly." This fall, I have a few more pairs of leggings and FINALLY found a pair of skinny jeans/pants that fit and look reasonable on me--AT Loft Curvy Skinny Petite. I have 3 pairs and love them.

At any rate, I now feel like it's worth investing in a pair of riding boots. I am seeing a lot of fake leather ones. Though I don't want to spend $400, I would like a real leather pair.

Any ideas? The Fryes sound expensive, and I just saw a post about them being not so comfy. I am only 5'2", so they can't be super tall or they will hit me in the knee. While I don't have large calves, I have found that some boots can be unfocomfortably tight.

If anyone has seen anything cute, I'd much appreciate a link. I like good quality leather (nice and smooth--some of the cheaper stuff has cracks) and styling-wise, not dressy but not chunky/rugged either. I tend toward a sleeker but still casual look.

TIA!
    Lisa
    Mama to Jack (4/20/01)
    and Joshua (11/16/03)

arivecchi is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

When it comes to riding boots, I would recommend you splurge. They are so classic and versatile that you can wear them for a lifetime!

I really like Cole Haan boots and this great pair is one sale at Nordies:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/cole-haa...8A8&origin=pla

The brown detail makes them even more versatile IMO. Wish I needed another pair because I'd be all over these!

These are gorgeous too and all black:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/cole-haa...ch%20Relevence
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

I would find an awesome pair and then wait for a sale...

I am wearing my new Frye Veronica Slouch in black with the wool top and I love them. They don't have to soft insole, but I just walked to work for an hour in them and I will be on my feet all day and I know that I will be comfortable. Sometimes something too cushy doesn't hold up for me by the end of the day, so I really like these!

....I did get them on that amazing Amazon deal for $125, so I feel pretty pleased with them.

peanut520 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

i've been buying corso como boots lately since the leather is great quality without the weigth of my frye boots. plus they start under $200. this pair is on sale and has a nice classic cuff detail.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/corso-co...esultback=1646
    Last edited by peanut520; 11-30-2012 at 02:08 PM.
    DD 2/09 - My sweet loving Spunky/Spirited child

lcarlson90 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I am 5'2 as well and my Veronica Slouch Fryes are the perfect height for me. Try to find something that has a 14 inch tall boot shaft and that should not be too tall. The Fryes are pricey but I think they are worth the investment. I actually bought the Corso Como boots in black that Peanut linked to during the Nordstrom sale last week and they are really nice and priced at under $200.
    Gavin 7.30.08
    Dylan 2.24.05

Thanks for the feedback. I now know to look for 14" inch shaft boots.

The Veronica Slouches are cute, but I was hoping for something just a little dressier looking. More like the Dorado. But that one comes up higher. I will have to check out some of the suggestions. Maybe a trip to Nordstrom is indicated. : )
    Lisa
    Mama to Jack (4/20/01)
    and Joshua (11/16/03)

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have a pair of two tone Lauren (by Ralph Lauren) riding boots very similar to the Cole Haans above. I got them at DSW last year but I see they still carry a very similar style this year. All black bottom and shaft with just a band of dark brown at the top. They do with everything and I find I can dress them up and down. I'm also 5'2" and I have a chunkier calf and these fit me perfectly.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.