Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jupiter is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Cloth diapers, how many can I wash?

Anyone have an HE FL large capacity washer/dryer? I have the whirlpool duet. I washed 7 plastic pants, 10 covers, 12 cloth diapers with snaps, and 12 insets. It took up barely a quarter of my washer. I know people say no more than 20ish but can I at least fill it half way? Also if you have this type of washer what cycles do you use? I don't see a pre wash option.
    early arrival on 2/3/13

jam224 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think keeping it under 20 diapers is a good idea. Particularly with an HE FL washer, you want to make sure you have plenty of water to wash your diapers. I have an LG HE front loader (I can't remember the capacity) and I typically wash 16, sometimes 18, pocket diapers (including their inserts) at a time. If you don't have a pre-wash option, do you have a quick/speed wash option? Otherwise, just a basic wash option with no detergent will do the same thing.
    Jennifer
    SAHM to DD1 (11yo) and DD2 (5yo)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have an LG HE FL washer. I washed about a half-dozen prefolds plus doublers, half-dozen AIOs and a couple old towels per load, give or take.

I added the old towels to add weight to the spin and ensure I got enough water in the wash cycle to clean the dipes appropriately.

No stink problems 'til DD was a toddler - toddler pee is more concentrated than newborn/infant pee, so it stinks worse.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

If I remember correctly.....I have your same washer. I used 1/4 cup of regular tide, 2 tbsp oxiclean, and washed on the sanitary cycle with and extra rinse and max extract. I would stick to no more than 20 diapers, certainly not over 25.

I don't have an HE washer but I remember the owner of Gro-Via giving a tip on fb a few years back about throwing a wet towel into the wash with your diapers to trick the washer into using more water.

I don't worry about the number as much as I try and make sure I do a wash at least every 3 days, ideally every other day. Its just easier to keep them fresh smelling and clean at that frequency especially as they get older and everything becomes a bit more concentrated.
    AF wife and SAHM of three
    DS(2007.March) DD(2009.July) DS(2012.December)

Oh yes, the wet towel trick.

JenaW is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyloxs View Post
    I don't worry about the number as much as I try and make sure I do a wash at least every 3 days, ideally every other day. Its just easier to keep them fresh smelling and clean at that frequency especially as they get older and everything becomes a bit more concentrated.
    Every day? Really?? Ugh. Im only using cloth with my toddler right now. #7 is due any day so soon we will be back to two in dipes. (well, plus my 4yo's overnight Soakers). I have been washing every 4-5 days. But I'm also having an amOnia issue...maybe that's why? I have started rinsing all my inserts (holy pee batman) as well as the dipes themselves if they are the overnights and that does seem to help. I have a ton of microfiber inserts too and they really seem to hold in stink so I've started doing a vinegar/oxy soak and that has helped too. I already do 2 loads of laundry a day, but my dipes usually take a while bc I do an overnight cold soak. Ive been adding water where I can to my HE TL too but maybe I'm waiting too long and washing too many at once? Ugh.

To the op, I also have a set of whirlpool duet sport FL's. I only used thEm once bc I can't add more water like I can with my bravo TL. But I did a cold wash first (normal) with no detergent, then a whitest whites (hot) wash with plain he tide and extra rinse, then an additional rinse and spin. I also added a large soaking wet beach towel.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JenaW View Post
    Every day? Really?? Ugh. Im only using cloth with my toddler right now. #7 is due any day so soon we will be back to two in dipes. (well, plus my 4yo's overnight Soakers). I have been washing every 4-5 days. But I'm also having an amOnia issue...maybe that's why? I have started rinsing all my inserts (holy pee batman) as well as the dipes themselves if they are the overnights and that does seem to help. I have a ton of microfiber inserts too and they really seem to hold in stink so I've started doing a vinegar/oxy soak and that has helped too. I already do 2 loads of laundry a day, but my dipes usually take a while bc I do an overnight cold soak. Ive been adding water where I can to my HE TL too but maybe I'm waiting too long and washing too many at once? Ugh.

Do you have hard water?

If not, try a short, warm-wash cycle with vinegar & baking soda as a pre-wash cycle & then launder as usual. I use abt. 1/8c to 1/4c baking soda and maybe a half-cup of vinegar?

If that doesn't do the trick, order a couple of bags of Rockin' Green's "Funk Rock" treatment. That stuff is magic.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

I have been washing every 4-5 days
    My current diaper wearer is also a toddler so I have gotten lazy and the frequency is closer to 4 days. I was getting stink issues too until I started letting them soak overnight. Sounds like you are already doing that though so not quite sure what else to suggest. I use rockin green detergent, maybe you can give that a try. My loads are still really small though because my toddler is no longer wearing cloth full time because she goes to preschool and wears sposies there.

I do a cloth diaper wash every other day though with babies since I go through a lot more diapers. Which will be my reality again if this baby ever decides to come out and say hi.
    AF wife and SAHM of three
    DS(2007.March) DD(2009.July) DS(2012.December)

mmommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've had good luck with BacOut on toddler pee. I just add a squirt to my pre rinse. It works best in cold water. It can also be diluted and sprayed right on the diaper/insert.
    I don't have a HE washer, but my understanding is that's its really a matter of "tricking" the washer into using more water. So a wet towel added to the load should allow for a better cleaning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast