Default 30 min. workouts?

Hi,

I am trying desperately to loose weight and nothing seems to be working. I am fed up and don't know what else to do. I had a personal trainer a year ago and even she was mystified that I only lost 1 pound after 3 months of working out and being on a strict diet. My clothes definitely fit better but I should have been in smaller sizes and that was only a minor change. MY doctor says everything is fine with my thyroid and now I am going to another doctor to get a second opinion as well as have my hormones tested to look to see what is going on. IT is as if my metabolism completely shut down. I am horrified!

In the meantime before another a doctor's visit I am going to be moving away from 1 hour 3x a week workouts to 30 minutes a day with 1 day off. With the holidays and 5 kids and working and going to school I just don't have an hour. So I want to move to 30 minute workouts. MY sil did this and looks fantastic. She however will not share any of that info with me so I am on the look out for workouts that work! Any that you all like? With 30 min workouts I might even be able to work out 2x a day which would be great if the time allows. If not then I am hoping I can squeeze 1 30 min a day. We shall see. Let me know what to look out for!!!!

Thanks

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09, 11

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

What about the 30-minute shred by Jillian Michaels? I did that a few years ago on demand, and I really liked it. It was a little hard on my knee which has had issues in the past, but it was a great fast full-body workout.

I do P90X, which is too long as most workouts are an hour, but I know the same guys has a series that are 10-minute workouts. You can stack them to create the workout you want. I've always been intrigued by it, but after buying P90X2 and hating it (and selling it for half of what I paid), I'm hesitant to shell out bucks for another series!

Good luck - sounds like you are working really hard and deserve results!
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

I had this problem years ago. I was very muscular and fit, but my weight (even accounting for more muscle mass) just wouldn't drop. I went to a nutritionist who DOUBLED the amount of food I was eating. He said my metabolism was slowed by not eating enough. When I started eating more, the weight dropped off! I ate a big breakfast every morning (eggs with non fat cheese, turkey sausage, sautéed veggies) and then ate multiple small meals throughout the day. I never went more than 2 hours without eating, even if my snack was just a few nuts. My diet had no processed foods, lots of vegetables, some fruit, lots of protein, and only whole grain carbs in smaller portions. There was very little sugar. Essentially, it was a South Beach diet. The key, though, was priming my metabolism in the morning and never letting off throughout the day. It really worked for me!

Very interesting 123Lucky Mom. It is interesting to read what you posted. I have often said that when I eat whatever I want and eat all the time I either stay the same weight or I loose. I joked last fall that I was going on a "holiday diet" as I didn't gain a single pound during the holidays and ate whatever I wanted. Then in January I did the whole "cut out everything" diet, diet and wham, I gained!!!

I like the idea of looking up some 10 minute P90X workouts. MY BIL does the long ones and loves them. I will check out the on demand with Jillian Michaels.

Thanks! I am doing all the right things yet I look like crap. So tired of this! Maybe I need to go back to doing all the bad things! :0

B

willow33 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Are you doing any strength training? And I agree about upping your calories...same exact thing happened with me!
    ~H~

Mom to 3 sweet kids
    2003 ~ 2005 ~ 2009

Jupiter is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Try to stay away from eating the same thing everyday. Your body will adjust to what you eat regularly and stop losing. Mix it up and have a cheat day. Or just eat more one day and less another.
    early arrival on 2/3/13

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Have you tried high intensity interval training? The workouts are shorter and burn a lot of calories. You warm up, then run or bike as fast as you can for 30-45 seconds, then go slow for 1 minute, then start over again for 20 minutes total, then cool down. It is exhausting but the workout goes really fast. Do it every other day.

The Jillian michaels body revolution workouts are all 30 minutes each. It is a 90 day program and is also a total body workout.

It is a little pricey, so I'd probably recommend trying 30 day shred first to see if you like her style.
    DS1: 3/09
    DS2: 2/11
    DS3: 3/13

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by stinkyfeet View Post
    The Jillian michaels body revolution workouts are all 30 minutes each. It is a 90 day program and is also a total body workout.

It is a little pricey, so I'd probably recommend trying 30 day shred first to see if you like her style.
    I did 30day shred last spring and through the summer. I loved it. I generally didn't do the cool downs and the workouts were about 25 minutes. I was the most toned I had ever been -- way better than my old standby of running or eliptical training for 1 hour every day (even those those cardio workouts burned far more calories per my heart rate monitor).

I have the 90 day Jillian Michaels program and love it. The first 2 weeks were too easy for me but it was like taking a nice break. I am on the 4th week now. I think they are spectacular.

I have a good friend who was working out an hour a day and when she cut back her workouts, she busted through her plateau and lost weight. Personally I think an hour is too much for a lot ofpeople and sends our bodies into "preservation" mode. I lose more weight too when I am on a 30 min workout (and I am able to do the workouts better too). Not the same for men, and same with some of my lady friends, but a few of us have had this problem.

I would also look to see if you really need to lose weight - maybe you aren't losing it because you are at a healthy weight for you? And if you legitimately still have some weight you want to take off, I recommend low carb. My mother who has been obese/overweight my whole life has just lost 50 lbs and is now thinner than me, and she did this at 70! Her secret was curves every day, no white foods and no sugar. Menapause be dammed, she was able to lose weight this way.

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Remember to check out your library! A year ago I was at the library and saw the Jillian Michael's DVD's along with some others. I started checking them out to see if they were worth buying. Turns out I really just like variety and so it has been a great way for me to have a lot of options for free then figure out what to buy. Not a great plan when it's 90 day plan and your check out is only 2 weeks, but I tend to know pretty quickly if it's for me. Good luck!