Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22
    daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

my DD is 5 and 3/4ths. She has REALLY gotten into AG dolls just the past month or so (we have 2 that we were given when she was 4 and when she was 5 by her grandfather). You may be surprised - as most girls really get into them in K and 1st grade, I understand from my friends, through most of elementary school.

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by daisysmom View Post
    You may be surprised - as most girls really get into them in K and 1st grade, I understand from my friends, through most of elementary school.
    Largely depends on where one lives.
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SASM View Post
    Largely depends on where one lives.
    We know some girls who got the historical dolls when they were 4, which IMHO I thought was a bit young. DD1 is 6/1/2 which I think is the perfect age to get started if there is any interest in dolls. We got her a single Bitty Twin doll for her 5th birthday and it sat unplayed with until she was about 5/1/2. I guess most of it really depends on the child, but I would not be buying a doll for a now 3 yr. old (unless Josefina was being discontinued; my kids are part Hispanic) in anticipation that they would like it in the future, but that is just me.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default heads up re MG quality

I know many of us were holding on to these dolls for birthdays (I haven't opened our box yet) but i wanted to give folks a heads-up about some quality issues with the Marie-Grace dolls that folks on gymbofriends have been complaining about. Apparently there are quality issues with MGs and that's why this sale happened - not sure if that is true. Some dolls are perfect and others have hair problems - wigs misaligned, thin or falling out hair, missing eyebrows, etc. If you are on GF, take a look at the threads, or I can cut and paste some info here.

I haven't read anything about Cecile QC issues yet but I guess I should open our box and take a look.

for Sandy Hook

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Good to know! Thank you. Ours are in the attic over our garage, but I really should look at them in depth. One M-G and a Cecile are for a friend; I was planning to keep another M-G for my DD for next year. Disappointing that they would even try to sell something with flaws...not great for somewhat of a prestige type of brand like A-G IMO!

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    I know many of us were holding on to these dolls for birthdays (I haven't opened our box yet) but i wanted to give folks a heads-up about some quality issues with the Marie-Grace dolls that folks on gymbofriends have been complaining about. Apparently there are quality issues with MGs and that's why this sale happened - not sure if that is true. Some dolls are perfect and others have hair problems - wigs misaligned, thin or falling out hair, missing eyebrows, etc. If you are on GF, take a look at the threads, or I can cut and paste some info here.

I haven't read anything about Cecile QC issues yet but I guess I should open our box and take a look.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Wow thanks! I will check them out, definitely wasn't planning on opening them soon but I want to make sure they are ok.

ETA: citymama, can you link to the GF thread? I'm not seeing it.
    Last edited by Melaine; 12-18-2012 at 02:34 PM.

maiaann is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Gah! I took a peek, but I didn't see any obvious issues. What quality problems should I be looking for?
    DD1 10/01
    DD2 02/07
    DD3 07/09

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post

The sale happened because American Girl wanted to get rid of these dolls faster than they were sale-ing on their own (how is that spelled?!)

People have found defects with some of the dolls, just as they have with dolls that are bought online for full price (Generally dolls with defects are not bought ta the store because people can see the doll for themselves and choose the one they like). Because a LOT of these were bought at once it seems like they have more defects because you are hearing about "Cecile problems" and "MG problems" -- but its more a matter of having sold many more dolls in a small amount of time. There are thoughts that the storage space was wanted for further shipments coming, etc.

Yes, it does feel like there shouldn't be ANY problems with dolls that cost so much originally. But there you have it.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

I just checked mine out and it looks to be in good shape - thanks for the heads-up though

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Wow thanks! I will check them out, definitely wasn't planning on opening them soon but I want to make sure they are ok.

ETA: citymama, can you link to the GF thread? I'm not seeing it.
    It's the massive "official AG thread" - many of the posts are towards the beginning of the thread.

Most people have posted about the hair or wigs being off, and here was another one I saw:

"I would be super upset had I paid full price for the doll I got. The sewing of the vest part of her dress is so off the dress doesn't even hang right on her. Her eyes & eyebrows are totally off, like when her eyes are closed one eyelash line is at a totally different angle, and her head leans to one side."

for Sandy Hook

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22