Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unhappy Please come pick up your son

Today we received the dreaded phone call from the school. Please come and pick up your son as he is having too rough of a day to continue. The teacher couldn't handle him any more. I pretty much cried the whole way through the school getting to his room. I was so scared he was being suspended. He was not suspended and I signed him out as sick.

His holiday program is tomorrow. He had a subsitute aide today. He doesn't speak but has actually said two new words at school last week and repeated one of the words today. We know from past history that when he is on the cusp of a new breakthrough that his behavior goes downhill. Teacher understand this but she said she just couldn't take getting hit anymore today. The teacher is very understanding and said she loves my son and it shows. He always gives him a big hug and he expects it from her. She said that today when doing an activity she didn't say "good job DS1" at the end of the activity. He got so mad he narrowed his eyes and started hitting his hands on the table and then grabbed her wrist and wouldn't let go.

WI had a new state law that anytime a child needs to be restrained or hits that a form needs to be completed. In the past three weeks I've received two forms and tomorrow will receive two more for today. His regular ed teacher told me he hasn't been in her room for 3 weeks due to practice for the holiday program. I am so worried about all of these forms going into his permanent file. Some day I will be placing him in a group home. Will that group home request his school files and see these forms? Will they decline to take him because of a pattern/history of violance? Am I over reacting???

I am frustrated!!!!!!! I feel bad for his teachers and aides. Just because he doesn't injury/leave marks when he hits doesn't mean that it doesn't hurt physically and mentally. His teacher told me he is working great but transitions are just very tough for him right now. We both agree that he is working through something in his little brain and just can't do that and have good behavior. I just want him to be able to do both. I've waited 9 years to hear him begin to speak. Are we on the cusp? Have we turned the cornor and he will now begin to speak?

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'm sorry.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Many, many hugs. I hope that this is just a struggle on the way to finding his voice.

I feel for you. DS has had a hard week too. Today he tried to bite and scratch his aid. These teachers really deserve so much more than they get paid. Gratitude only goes so far. ETA: (I hit post too soon!) I always feel badly when DS acts out, but there's nothing we parents can do, but it's so stressful.
    Last edited by larig; 12-05-2012 at 07:20 PM.
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

KDsMommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm so sorry he's having a rough time.
    Christie
    DS '07
    DSS '09
    DSS '12
    DD1 9/21/14

Clarity is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm sorry he's having a rough time. I hope things breakthrough for him soon.
    big girl 6/06
    little girl 9/08

"I'm not stupid; I just don't stop to proofread." (PRM?)

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My heart goes out to you and DS1. I remember those days when DD could not express herself adequate verbally and would turn to physical expression as that was the only way she knew her message would be understood. It is hard on everyone, but especially the child who so desperately wants to be able to have us understand.

That he has said two new words in the last week made me smile! I hope he continues to add more.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

i'm sorry for your rough week, but so glad the teacher was understanding even though she couldn't keep him at school today. try not to stress about these forms - if you end up placing him, the home will also understand, especially when you explain how he is so frustrated before a breakthrough.
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by karstmama View Post
    i'm sorry for your rough week, but so glad the teacher was understanding even though she couldn't keep him at school today. try not to stress about these forms - if you end up placing him, the home will also understand, especially when you explain how he is so frustrated before a breakthrough.
    HUGS I am so sorry that sounds very hard. You are doing a great job and so lucky to have a great teacher!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Loads and loads of hugs for you, mama. I hope with all my heart that your DS1 begins to speak for you. It really does sound like he is at the point of a breakthrough for something! But no matter what, your love and strength for your children shine through everything.
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,
    and the other from a strong won’t.” Henry Ward Beecher

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

for Sandy Hook Elementary School

Giant hugs and prayers for you and your DS.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast