lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default sleep questions!

ok, so i was going to come post today about "naplets" (to steal the term from Ferber)...

DD has turned into the queen of the 30 min nap every 1.25-1.5 hours. she is too tired to stay awake longer than 1.25-1.5 hours, but then she's up again in 30 min.

i've been reading and reading the ferber book and the weisbluth book - the same sections over and over - to see if i can understand their suggestions for how to help her. but it just doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

ferber's suggestion is so basic - "just push them to stay awake longer and then they'll take a longer nap next time..." well, that hasn't worked. at all.

and i actually don't see a clear suggestion from Weisbluth

how have you successfully overcome the naplet issue?

secondly...if you swaddled, when did you start weaning out of it? i had started trying to get DD out of the swaddle about two weeks ago. started with just one arm out during first nap of the day only. and now i'm wondering if this is when the naplet problem began... after a couple of days of one arm out for first nap, i then started doing one arm out for two naps...and then three...and then all naps. but still fully swaddling at night

today i went all the way back to the beginning and she is fully swaddled for her first nap and is now sleeping for almost 1.5 hours.

so maybe the swaddle was the issue? ugh
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

SkyrMommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DS is going through the same short nap nonsense right now and then he's up and ready to go.

He hasn't been swaddled since he turned 1 month, he is one who truly hated to be swaddled and tried like Houdini to escape so I'm not much help there.

We've been doing quite time as soon as he wakes up, I'll go in to him, but sing quietly and not pick him up for 15 minutes or so, we've been slowly working naps longer, from 30 minutes to now maybe 45 and sometimes an hour at a stretch.
    DD 4/09 DS 8/12

queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Could be the swaddle, could be the four month sleep regression. I speak from experience, it is a very real thing! It really messed her up and we still haven't gotten back on track! "Ugh," pretty much sums it up for me, too!

Lara
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB