Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We have moved slowly in introducing foods because of MSPI, so he has had figs and prunes so far. I introduced prunes a few weeks ago when he seemed constipated, so I will give him some more tonight. Thanks guys!

Ok, I'm back.

What about sweet potatoes? We are still having major issues. Swinging from badly constipated to the opposite (I assume I over-did it on the prunes?) For one day he seemed happy and "normal" but other than that it is not going well.

I wouldn't think sweet potatoes could do it - any chance of a stomach bug?

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

I don't think it's any kind of bug. He has MSPI, so his poop has really never been normal. I'm wondering if I should back off solids....I'm also concerned that my supply is dwindling and that could be part of our issue. I am adding oatmeal hoping to boost my supply. His interest in nursing also seems to have dropped.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    I don't think it's any kind of bug. He has MSPI, so his poop has really never been normal. I'm wondering if I should back off solids....I'm also concerned that my supply is dwindling and that could be part of our issue. I am adding oatmeal hoping to boost my supply. His interest in nursing also seems to have dropped.
    I don't know if it's the cause but I have noticed when DS eats sweet potatoes he seems to have more solid diapers. They aren't hard, so I guess technically not constipated, but def. more shaped and formed, less smooshy, than normal. And he will go a couple days without going but then starts having these small BM's and then all is normal once he has a full diaper. We just introduced prunes this week and after just one small jar he def. gets moving. So maybe your's is getting too much at a time? Why are you worried your supply is dwindling? Remember they will drink less as they get older. DS quit nursing totally (he was born just after your DS, so same age). Part of that was because he was biting I think. DS1 quit nursing at 10 months. So I don't think less interest is totally abnormal, you just may have to nurse in a quite dark area or some thing. That's what the lactation consultant told me to try to get DS back to nursing, but he could care less so I've been bonding with my pump

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Oh, are you doing any type of probiotics? As soon as we started the Happy Bellies cereal with pre/probiotics DS's poops were night and day difference. I know it's from the probiotics because I had to use a different brand for a few days and they went back to yucky. The dietician at the GI's office told me that they do seem to help MSPI babies.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    I don't know if it's the cause but I have noticed when DS eats sweet potatoes he seems to have more solid diapers. They aren't hard, so I guess technically not constipated, but def. more shaped and formed, less smooshy, than normal. And he will go a couple days without going but then starts having these small BM's and then all is normal once he has a full diaper. We just introduced prunes this week and after just one small jar he def. gets moving. So maybe your's is getting too much at a time? Why are you worried your supply is dwindling? Remember they will drink less as they get older. DS quit nursing totally (he was born just after your DS, so same age). Part of that was because he was biting I think. DS1 quit nursing at 10 months. So I don't think less interest is totally abnormal, you just may have to nurse in a quite dark area or some thing. That's what the lactation consultant told me to try to get DS back to nursing, but he could care less so I've been bonding with my pump
    Thanks. I feel like everyday is a puzzle and I cannot figure this kid out!! I'm just worn out and tired. I'm just wondering about my supply because I have lost so much weight (I'm dairy, soy, grain and egg free...although I'm going back and forth about eggs).

We have him on triple probiotics but I haven't been faithful the last week as we were out of town. Must get him back on the regular schedule.

He was literally screaming while pooping earlier today and having a really small movement every hour or less. He seems to be feeling better. It seems like I just need to find the perfect balance for him and I'm wondering why he is that sensitive?

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Aww, poor little guy. Just wanted to say that sweet potatoes definitely constipate my DD. Especially if you think your supply is dropping, make sure he's getting enough liquids, too, that can make a big impact. Have you let him try blueberries yet? Those were a major help for my DD is keeping her "regular".

Also, how long ago did your DS start solids? I found that the first ~2 months of solids were really tricky in the diaper department. Things started getting better (and DD seemed less sensitive to small food changes) around 9 months (we started solids at 6).
    Lizi

A friends baby had major bowel problems and after lots of doctors a relative recommended either mango or papaya to help, forget which one, worked so well the Dr. Wrote it up in a journal. Might be worth a try? Good luck!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ExcitedMamma View Post
    A friends baby had major bowel problems and after lots of doctors a relative recommended either mango or papaya to help, forget which one, worked so well the Dr. Wrote it up in a journal. Might be worth a try? Good luck!
    Papaya will get stuff moving. The enzyme, papain, eases digestion.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2