Default Yeast infection or UTI?

DD1 is 2.5 years old. The last couple of days she has complained that her l@bia hurts. At first I brushed it off because she is in a real hypochondriac phase, but since it is consistent over several days, I am a little concerned. She also told me that it smells funny. I have a cold and can't smell anything and DH refused to try. The other thing is that she has had two pee accidents this week which is really strange for her, as she has been potty trained 100% since early October with no accidents. I'm wondering if she might have a yeast infection or a UTI. Any thoughts? I don't see any discharge in her underpants. I asked her if it hurts when she goes pee and she said no. I'm thinking of bringing her into the pedi tomorrow morning, but wanted to check with Dr. BBB first. TIA!
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DD is much younger so I don't have any experience there, but it sounds like a UTI to me. Those are my symptoms, minus the accidents of course, but I hear that is common with the LO.

Good luck
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

mmommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Likely a UTI. From what I understand, a yeast infection isn't likely until puberty. Yeast rashes can happen, but those are a bit different.

karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

yeast would be really red and burny/itchy, so that's not likely with the symptoms. i don't have a little girl, but read about how urine can get in labial skin folds & be really irritating, especially if the girl pees with her legs close to each other. does she keep her knees open to pee? anyway, i'd try some diaper-type soothing cream & give it a day or so. of course, you could also call her doc in the morning.
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06

Dr C is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

most likely irritated vaginal skin (vaginitis)--VERY common in this age group. Less likely but still possible UTI. Very unlikely to be yeast.
    Would treat like diaper rash--apply vaseline or desitin. If still hurting in AM, bring her in to check urine (most peds don't mind if you collect at home in clean jar--just try to clean her well beforehand and get a midstream specimen)
    My sweet boy 8/06
    My beautiful girl 10/09