bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Big Outdoor Basketball Hoops (Portable)

Anyone have any recommendations or advice? I am surprised that when I searched, I found almost no info on these. I seem to see quite a few of them around the neighborhood. I confess I have no idea how much to buy. Some are quite affordable and others are quite expensive. I have three boys, ages 9, 5 and 1. I'd like a hoop that will grow up with my kids--in other words, I'm thinking mostly of the 9 year old and what he'll need as he grows. He's no basketball star but who's to say he won't be in a few years. If anyone has any experience with these, will you share?

THANKS!

KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've been researching these for DDs 9th birthday in February. Walmart.com has been the best prices and they get great reviews.
    I'm getting this one
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lifetime-4...System/5018509
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thank you. This is tremendously helpful. It has great reviews and looks very well priced.

redhookmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

With three boys I would spend the extra money to get a good quality basket. We went through a couple of the portable type before buying an in ground pole system. the portable ones cracked, bent and became in-operational. The up down mechanism ceases working after a year or two.

willow33 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The thing we learned with "portable" basketball hoops is that they are really not portable. It's better to fill the base with sand and once it's in there it's almost impossible to remove. You can fill it with water, but it can freeze (if you live in a cold climate) and crack the base. We bought this one last year: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...&lmdn=Category and DH filled the base with sand and then anchored it into the ground for extra protection. I really wanted a in-ground one, but just couldn't stomach the price. So far, the one we bought has held up fine to daily use by my 7 and 9 year old sons.
    ~H~

Mom to 3 sweet kids
    2003 ~ 2005 ~ 2009

KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

So if you put water in it can it be moved? We live in a duplex and share a driveway that is sloped, so not a lot of space for the goal. We were planning to move it to the sidewalk and let the kids play in the street, very little neighborhood only traffic. But we can't leave in there all the time. Not sure what we will do if it's not portable. That birthday gift idea may be out!
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

baileygirl is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have one of the Lifetime portable hoops (we received it from someone who's daughters got older and weren't using it). It has held up great! When we got it dh put water in it, but the water leaked out (we live in a hot climate). Right now we have two logs holding it down, but dh doesn't think he would have a problem moving it if there was water or sand in it (ours is empty since the logs are on it). I believe you just tilt it forward and pull it (has wheels on the front). I haven't tried moving it myself.