Default Spot It vs. Spot It Jr?

for kids ages 3.5, 7.5, and 12? I'd love it if all 3 kids (+/-) adults could play together, but if just the youngest two can play that's OK too.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ds2 could play regular at 3. We haven't tried junior.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

From what I can tell the only difference is that Spot It Jr has all animals and Spot It has symbols and other shapes. The play is the same. So I think it comes down to whether or not the younger kids know what the symbols are called. I don't think it really matters which one you go with otherwise. We have Spot It Jr. And DD2 (4) beats me to the punch a decent amount of the time.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

m4nash is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

There are some unusual symbols (at least from a young child's POV) and even words spelled out on the original Spot It. That said my 3.5 year old does play with my 6 year old and myself and enjoys it. I think he'd be on a more even footing with the junior version or the numbers or alphabet versions.

So, it sounds like the two versions are played exactly the same way, and the symbols are the only difference. If that's the case, the Jr. version would not be any more "boring" for the 12 y.o. to play and it may work better for the littler kids, so I should probably go with that one for now. I took a look at the pictures on Amazon and I'm not even sure the 3.5 y.o. knows the names of all those animals! But he definitely wouldn't know some of the symbols in the regular version.

Thanks, again, BBB!