Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Disneyland novice: Do tickets sell out to DL?

We are going to LA b/w Christmas and NY with the ILs, and during this insanely popular time, with zero prep, we're making our first trip to DL. Yes, we're crazy, but this is MIL's idea. She only wants to go one day and doesn't want to stay anywhere near Anaheim, so it's going to be that much more insane and frenzied. Can you tell how much I'm going to love this?

So I know it's a good idea to buy tickets ahead of time so you don't have to wait in long lines. But is there a risk of DL tix being sold out on a particular day? In other words, if we want to go on, say Dec 26, do we buy tickets for that day specifically? Or just generic tickets to DL to be used on any day? I have heard people say "buy tickets ahead of time as they sell out" but looking at the DL website, it doesn't look like you buy tickets for any particular day. Or am I missing something?

I would SO appreciate any tips and pointers for this newbie, including time of day to go, strategies for getting the most out of a single day visit with 6.5 and 2.5 yr old in tow, cost saving suggestions, etc. Oh, and DD2 really wants to go to Cars Land but if we're there for a day, it doesn't make sense. Is there any Cars stuff in the main park too?

THANKS!

for Sandy Hook

Tenasparkl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You can't buy for a specific day and sometimes they do reach capacity over the holidays. Just don't get there too late and you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenasparkl View Post
    You can't buy for a specific day and sometimes they do reach capacity over the holidays. Just don't get there too late and you should be fine.
    Does that mean they are full at the gate rather than in terms of ticket sales? Thanks!

for Sandy Hook

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yes. You could buy tickets then get turned away when you try and use them.

Christmas Day, and New Year's Eve/Day are typically the highest capacity days for the whole year (only trumped by Leap Day this year). As long as you avoid those few days (12/25, 12/31, 1/1), you should be fine. Busy, yes, but the chance of hitting capacity is slim. Any non-school day tends to be pretty busy. Tickets aren't day-specific.
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I have never been on a day where it has sold out, but I have been there have been days where it has been really crowded, one of those was Mother's Day, 2011 (which also coincided with Goth Day? WTH?!), and the other was a random August day in 1992.

I have never bought tickets in advance. If I were in your shoes I would go to AAA and get your tickets there and although I have never done that (we used to have passes) I had heard that getting your tickets at AAA also gets you free parking (which is $15). This would be helpful especially if you are driving there.

In regards to where to stay there are good locations in Anaheim that aren't close to the park as Anaheim is really spread out, but parts of Anaheim are kind of sketchy hotel wise as well so unless you are staying near the park or in Anaheim Hills you really need to know the area. Katella Avenue moves really well car wise and I think I would still prefer to stay in that area unless all of the other hotels are booked. You can PM me if you want more information about where to stay within a 30 minute radius of the park.

If your MIL is willing to spring for park hopper tickets for you guys for those days that might actually make some sense just in case one park is busier than the other. Also your DD2 will be free as she is under 3. We have never been questioned as she is always in a stroller and we had passes, but I might bring a copy of an immunization record or a birth certificate just in case. Do you still have a stroller? I would highly recommend using one for your DD2 just in case it is super crowded and or you get tired of carrying her. If you don't have a stroller send me a PM as well.

I am not aware of any Cars stuff to do in the main park, but I haven't been to DL since March, 2012. My only other pointers for you are:

*to not stress out about seeing the parade since you are only there for one day. Parade time=prime go on ride time! (at least that is what we used to do when we were kids; I never saw the Main St. Electric Parade because we were always on rides).

*make a bee line to the Dumbo and Fantasyland rides as soon as you get to the park and go on some of those first because they fill up quickly and the Dumbo line is a huge PITA if it is more than a 20 minute wait, which for some reason it is most of the time. I would also then send your DH to get fast passes for Space Mountain as that FP time gets bumped really late all of the time unless you want to do single riders for yourself and your DH. Splash Mountain also has a single rider line.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Most of your questions have been answered. But let me reiterate GET THERE AT PARK OPENING (or before). It will be the difference between a crowded but nice experience, and a crowded and miserable experience. Hightail it to Dumbo. Do not wander down Main Street ogling stuff. GET TO DUMBO. You may think "my kids have never seen the movie" but there is something about a flying baby elephant dressed as a clown that just appeals to kids. And it is the slowest loading ride in the park. After Dumbo, get fastpasses to whatever is important to you (Splash Mtn, Space Mtn, etc). Most of all, have fun, don't stress. Bring snacks in if you want to save money, but they do sell healthy snacks at Disney now (fruit and veggies).
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Tenasparkl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Yes. You could buy tickets then get turned away when you try and use them.
    Exactly.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It absolutely sells out during Christmas time. We gave tickets to my SIL last year and they went on (I think) Dec. 27, it was RAINING (that is uncommon in So Cal) and it was still so packed that they were turning people away. And it has been WAY more crowded since the opening of Cars Land in the summer even in unusual and "less busy" months.

So expect crowds.

Like twinfoxes said, get there early. You'll be able to do a lot in that first hour and it will make the day seem much smoother.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    It absolutely sells out during Christmas time.
    You mean on the day of, right? Not advance tickets?

Thank you all SO much for the insights. I would have thought going late in the day would be better but we will now try and get there at opening. I have zero idea about rides (other than Small World, from my own childhood memory of it) so thanks for the heads-up on Dumbo. Anything else? My older DD is just 6 and this is the first time at any kind of real amusement park, so even rides that might seem "babyish" would be fine for her. Maybe one easyish roller coaster.

Other tips and tricks would be so welcome!

for Sandy Hook

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast