Thread: Canadian BBB?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Canadian BBB?

Hello fellow Canadians!

Just curious which websites and/or forums you look at for bargains specifically in Canada. I don't look at the bargains threads here anymore, since most of them are either American B&M stores, or internet sites that either don't deliver to Canada, or charge huge shipping. Plus, it would be a huge pain to have to return something across the border.

So, where do you look for Canadian bargains? Any forums similar to the one here? I don't want to subscribe to an email list that'll clog up my inbox- just somewhere I can browse for Canadian bargains/deals.

Thanks!
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

EllasMum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Just saw your post - sorry for the delay! I haven't found a site similar to this one for bargains, but there are a variety of bargain/coupon sites that are specifically Canadian. I like:

www.bargainmoose.ca
    www.save.ca

Bargain Moose is quite good - she lists both online and B&M deals.

Happy shopping!
    ~~~
    Susan
    DD 08-2005
    Impatiently awaiting adoption match!
    Cure FOP - www.ifopa.org
    ~~~

I just saw this as well....sorry to be so behind.

Like EllasMum I don't really cruise any Canada-specific bargains forums. We are really so behind in terms of sales and deals. Things are never marked down as much here as they are in the States. Rather, I try to figure out which US retailers will ship here, or which ones will process a Canadian credit card for billing but will ship to the States (I have people that I can ship to). Other than that, I have subscribed to email lists for specific baby/children's stores here, although my fave one has just closed. Our market is just so much smaller so I guess that's inevitable.

One Canada-specific thing that is new, though, is ebates.ca . I've used it a few times for my holiday shopping this year and was pleasantly surprised by the retailers which were included. They have Chapters/Indigo as well as the Gap family of stores, and Amazon.ca. They have a bunch of US stores as well (LE, for example) but I just do those via the US site instead.
    Last edited by MontrealMum; 12-16-2012 at 02:59 AM.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MontrealMum View Post
    Rather, I try to figure out which US retailers will ship here, or which ones will process a Canadian credit card for billing but will ship to the States (I have people that I can ship to).
    I think I may have figured out a way around the Cdn billing address problem. We wanted to buy a computer for my nephew in FL for his Bar Mitzvah and ship it directly to him. Found a great deal on Costco.com but I couldn't enter a credit card with a non-US address. I called Costco to see if they could process it manually and they told me to call my cc company and have them set up my sister's US address as a secondary address on my card. Then, once that is done, I should be able to use the US address as my billing address online and the purchase can go through.

Called CIBC Visa and they seeemed pretty familiar with what I wanted to do. It was no problem to set up the secondary address. She did tell me that because it's a secondary address, it may sometimes not go through automatically and the company may need to call visa to confirm.

Anyways, this time it worked and I was able to order the computer on my Cdn card. This was news to me so figured I'd share it here. Not sure if this is something most people know about or not.
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

Quote Originally Posted by mikeys_mom View Post
    I think I may have figured out a way around the Cdn billing address problem. We wanted to buy a computer for my nephew in FL for his Bar Mitzvah and ship it directly to him. Found a great deal on Costco.com but I couldn't enter a credit card with a non-US address. I called Costco to see if they could process it manually and they told me to call my cc company and have them set up my sister's US address as a secondary address on my card. Then, once that is done, I should be able to use the US address as my billing address online and the purchase can go through.

Called CIBC Visa and they seeemed pretty familiar with what I wanted to do. It was no problem to set up the secondary address. She did tell me that because it's a secondary address, it may sometimes not go through automatically and the company may need to call visa to confirm.

Anyways, this time it worked and I was able to order the computer on my Cdn card. This was news to me so figured I'd share it here. Not sure if this is something most people know about or not.
    This is exactly what I do with BodenUSA (I described it in the other thread), but I don't call. I can do it in the "notes to seller" section. I emailed them and they told me to do that. This is great to know that it works with other retailers as well!
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out!!
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

I look at BargainMoose once or twice a week usually, but other than that I haven't visited any Canadian bargain forums.

In terms of where else I shop –

For clothing, I look at the sale section of Land's End a lot. They include duty when calculating your order total so that there are no surprises when the order arrives. (Or, no duty when the order is under $25, I think?) L. L. Bean is more expensive, but ships for free to Canada, usually pretty quickly.

Well.ca is a nice website that comes closer to U.S. websites in terms of variety of offerings. They sell personal care items, food, toys, laundry detergent, etc. Many natural and "green" brands that can be harder to find in your regular local store. They have a "baby club" you can sign up for that sometimes has good prices on Pampers diapers. Free shipping over $25.

Otherwise, I swamp my family in the U.S. with packages before I arrive for a visit

I'd love to hear about Canadian bargains other moms in Canada are finding...perhaps in this sub-forum?
    Last edited by sweet_pea; 12-18-2012 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_pea View Post

Otherwise, I swamp my family in the U.S. with packages before I arrive for a visit
    I do that too!

There aren't many of us on here but maybe we can make a pact to share deals we come across more frequently. I do get emails from various Canadian retailers (Well.ca is one of them), but I never think to share them here because there are so few of us. But I'll try to do it more regularly and maybe everyone else can too?
    DS, Summer '07

http://www.redflagdeals.com/ is full of Canadian sales, coupons and a forum full of bargain hunters.