DS is 28 months. We're having a big struggle with naptime. Over the past couple wks there are days he doesn't nap at all.
I've read various articles and expert opinions, etc. I understand it's perfectly fine to have "quiet time" instead, some kids just give up the nap this early (ugh). If they stay in their room it's still restful. Much needed time for both DS and me.Our naptime is a mini version of bedtime; low lighting, stories, song. I lay down with him (but don't stay until he falls asleep; I don't want him to rely on that y'know?)

However, many times he refuses to stay in his room. He opens the door, peeks out, even sneaks down the hall, into other rooms, etc.

I know there's advice out there to simply go back in, calmly, hold their hand, walk them to bed, go in again and again and again. But I feel like he will always outlast us. That becomes the game. If we don't go back up there, he creeps his way out, down the hall, downstairs, etc. He's testing us.

Sometimes we give up and lock him in, although I hate doing this. It's the only way to keep him in there. He objects and yells and screams for varying lengths of time. Some days he eventually falls asleep in his bed on his own, but some days he stays awake - up to 2 hours! There are toys in there... I want his room to be an enjoyable place so I do not want to take everything out.

Any BTDT? I really don't like locking him in - on the other hand, it's just like an expanded crib. I'm going round and round in my head.

Sidenote - we sometimes have to lock him in at bedtime, too. He doesn't respect our "rule" that naptime and bedtime he has to stay in his room with the door closed.

Frustrated.