Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole30 anyone?

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Whole30 anyone?

I've been eating a (mostly) paleo diet for the past year, and I've had amazing results. But, I have found myself slipping a bit in the past couple of months. To restart, I'm doing the Whole30 in January. Anyone want to do it with me?

Basically, Whole30 is 30 days of very clean eating that resets the way you think about meals and is supposed to make you feel great. I've never done it before, but have read a lot of blogs (like this one) that have inspired me to give it a try.

The plan is outlined here and in the book, It Starts With Food. It's really simple, though:

1) Eat real food – meat, seafood, eggs, tons of vegetables, some fruit, and plenty of good fats from fruits, oils, nuts and seeds.
    2) Do not consume added sugar of any kind, real or artificial.
    3) Do not consume alcohol.
    4) Do not eat grains.
    5) Do not eat legumes.
    6) Do not eat dairy with the exception of clarified butter or ghee.
    7) Do not consume carrageenan, MSG or sulfites.
    8) Do not eat white potatoes.
    9) Do not weigh yourself during the 30 day period.

I cleaned out my pantry & fridge yesterday, and I stocked up on meats & veggies. I'm going to do some menu planning this weekend, too, so that I'm ready to start on Jan 2. I'm pretty excited!
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

I've been on Paleo for about 3 months and been eating cookies and dessert for the past couple of days. I've heard about Whole30 and would love to do it but the first 6 months of 2013 are going to be busy for me. However, I would love to hear about your journey for the next 30 days.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

tempting but sitting on the side watching. love to know how it goes!!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

I'd like to! I'm going to see if I can get my act together in the next couple of days to get started. I tried to start eating Paleo about a month ago, but I'm getting no support from DH and the kids won't eat what I cook. So I fell off the wagon about a week ago
    Rachel
    DS 10 playing lacrosse
    DS 6 playing soccer
    Great Dane 11 months
    Newly single

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I am tempted too. I was paleo for much of last year and pretty low carb and definitely low sugar. But I have fallen away from it since Halloween. gave myself Christmas day and have been pretty committed since then and have lost 3 of the 7 lbs I gained. I know I will feel much better this way- but my dh and dd eat carbs. My dh last a lot of weight last year by portin control and exercise so it is hard for me to really criticize him. Anyway, my vpcurrent plan is to keep cutting back but try not to make it a big deal for now. Will be following this thread tho!!

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Ha! No one feels like giving up sugar and wine with me?

I decided to start today since I was ready. Had spinach, eggs, and some leftover roast pork for breakfast. Made my usual tea but added coconut milk instead of cow's milk and sugar. Am heading out to a Barre3 class in about an hour. So far so good!

I fell off the myfitnesspal wagon a few months ago, too, but I'm going to track every day this month. I'm tmwalters over there if anyone wants to friend me.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

Nice work! Let me know how it goes! I am traveling for work for a week, on vacation for a week and then on the road again for 2 weeks. I am interested in trying it but need a span of time when I will be home. Good luck!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Good luck with your whole30.

I have been been reading about the whole30 for the last couple of weeks preparing to start in the new year. We don't move to our new apartment until the 5th and plan to start then. I am looking forward to it as I have been eating recklessly the last couple of weeks. Glad to have a new apartment with an empty pantry and be able to start fresh.

Love to hear your progress.

Ok DH and I are going to try Paleo in 2 weeks. Let me know how this goes for you!!

eh613c how did you find it?
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

I started my Whole30 today. We had some refrigerator issues so I wasn't able to start until now.

I haven't had a chance to properly menu plan. To make it easy for myself, I am going to start this week by just eating eggs for breakfast and salads for lunch. Then plan something nice for dinner. I made a nice meaty bone broth with some stir-fried veggies. Of course we ate it all, so now I have to go grocery shopping again tomorrow and hopefully have a few more ideas for dinner.

I was quite hungry today and was snacking on nuts and some fruit. I am hoping not to do too much of that. I'm really looking forward to the experience and definitely need it after the holidays.

How are you doing with your Whole30?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast