Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole30 anyone?

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I heard about Whole30 on FB a few days ago from one of my past doula clients. She did it last year and lost 15lbs the first 30 days and then another 5lbs soon after. She was never overweight, but she looks great now. She's been eating Paleo for most of the past year but is doing her second Whole30 to get rid of the holiday weight she's gained. She's on her first week of Whole30 and has already lost 4lbs (I know you're not supposed to weigh yourself though!)

I've been eating a bunch of junk since Christmas since we spent so much time at my grandma's, then took a trip to Monterey, and then spent the past 4 days in San Diego at my mom's (sugar/carb haven). I've had so many carbs/sugar/desserts the past 2 weeks and my body wasn't liking it (lots of stomach rumbling/pain/gas). So I started my Whole30 today to get my body back on track.

I was getting weekly low carb meal planning recipes from eMeals so I just switched over to their Paleo plan. That made it easy to plan out my meals for the next two weeks. I went grocery shopping today and stocked up on meat and veggies. We had steak with roasted carrots and asparagus for dinner tonight. I'm going to make a big batch of egg drop soup to eat for breakfasts and probably a more hearty chicken soup from my low carb cookbook for lunch. I really like roasted asparagus so I think I'll eat that with breakfast too. I love the nitrate/nitrite-free Canadian bacon at Costco as well and either eat 3 slices of that or 3 pieces of regular bacon with breakfast usually. I've never liked eggs, but I can now eat them if I cook them scrambled with lots of Canadian bacon and chives. Paleo dinners are easy since I was already eating low carb and DS1 is dairy free right now due to his eczema. I will probably just cut out coffee all together since I can't stomach drinking it with no milk or sweetener (I'm a latte girl). I've always sweetened my tea with a little bit of honey as well, but I found one tea that I have that I'm able to drink plain. So I think I'll just stick with that and water. I've never drank alcohol so that part's not a problem. I'll miss my daily string cheese and homemade yogurt that I normally eat with toasted slivered almonds and berries.

On to Day 2 tomorrow!
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

LBW is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm on day 8, and I feel really great. I had some headaches & tiredness on days 2-4, probably because I ate really poorly in the days/weeks leading up to starting my Whole30. Getting that sugar out of my system was rough!

I thought sugar & milk would be two of the hardest for me to give up, but they haven't been. I normally drink tea with milk & sugar all day long. I've cut that down to two cups, and I use a little coconut milk instead. You should try that, Latia! It tastes a little sweet, and it's nice and creamy. I've even made lattes for myself with it.

I love eggs, so I've been having eggs most days for breakfast. Today I had an omelette with spinach, carmelized onions (cooked over the weekend), and mushrooms (again, cooked over the weekend). I also had a handful of raspberries. Lunch is usually some leftover meat and salad/veggies. Dinner last night was a rib eye and some roasted parsnips and beets. YUM.

If I feel like I need a snack, I grab some nuts, olives, or fruit. Or I drink a glass of water.

So far so good. Only 22 more days to go!
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

I did Whole30 in October and loved it. I ended up pregnant so I'm no longer sticking with paleo, but it was great. I had tons of engergy, lost weight, and really increased my fitness. I plan to do it again after the baby.
    DD1 03/2011
    DD2 06/2013

I am wondering if you or someone else who has done the program signed up for their daily support The Whole30 Daily and if you think it is worth it or not? This program intrigues me as well as scares me because I am not sure how I can give up my cheese and bread and occasional glass of wine...but I am very interested in hearing more about your journey!!

https://daily.whole9life.com/

Day 2 today.

I had leftover steak, carrots, and asparagus for lunch today. And I just had dinner which was pork tenderloin, mashed sweet potatoes (with a little bit of juice and rind from an orange mixed in), and spaghetti squash made with sauteed onions, garlic, tomatoes, and basil. And a handful of blueberries too. Yum!

I'm going to make up some egg drop soup for tomorrow after I put DS2 to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by LBW View Post
    I thought sugar & milk would be two of the hardest for me to give up, but they haven't been. I normally drink tea with milk & sugar all day long. I've cut that down to two cups, and I use a little coconut milk instead. You should try that, Latia! It tastes a little sweet, and it's nice and creamy. I've even made lattes for myself with it.
    I've heard this on other sites and I'm going to try it. What kind of tea do you drink with the coconut milk? I have a can of "coconut cream" from TJ's to use which is all cream!

Quote Originally Posted by plusbellelavie View Post
    I am wondering if you or someone else who has done the program signed up for their daily support The Whole30 Daily and if you think it is worth it or not?
    I haven't, but I read their forums once in a while and I also read a couple of paleo blogs every day.
    Tara

I am thinking now
    I feel my boots
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    I've heard this on other sites and I'm going to try it. What kind of tea do you drink with the coconut milk? I have a can of "coconut cream" from TJ's to use which is all cream!
    I've been drinking TJ's Irish Breakfast Tea w/canned coconut milk, and it's yummy! I bet coconut cream would be delicious, too!

I also have some rooibos tea that I drink in the evenings some days when I want a little something else but don't really want to eat. I don't add anything to it.
    Tara

I am thinking now
    I feel my boots
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

Today is the 5th day for me. My DH has been unintentionally eating whole 30 as well. Makes it a lot easier to cook.

In four days we went through three dozen eggs. Plan to get more this weekend at the farmers market. We have been eating lots of scrambled eggs and hard boiled eggs on salads. Hoping to make paleo mayo soon.

Dinner has usually been a single meat with some veggies. So far what I buy has been eaten for that meal so I have gone to the market three of four days. Hopefully will get better with my menu planning. Made another huge pot of bone broth, so nice to start and end the day with a bowl.

Hoping I can keep this up. I didn't take any photos beforehand or weigh myself. I might try to do this tonight as I know they can be a huge motivator.

How about everyone else? Does anyone keep a food log?

ok, I'm in..

what do you put on salads? I read through a lot of the nom nom paleo blog last night in between stuff at work (it was a quiet night!) but am still a little fuzzy on the salad part.
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast