Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole30 anyone?

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elephantmeg View Post
    what do you put on salads? I read through a lot of the nom nom paleo blog last night in between stuff at work (it was a quiet night!) but am still a little fuzzy on the salad part.
    I've been putting either guacamole or olive oil & balsamic on my salads. I prefer the guac! Wholly Guacamole (available at Costco) is Whole30 compliant.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elephantmeg View Post
    ok, I'm in..

what do you put on salads? I read through a lot of the nom nom paleo blog last night in between stuff at work (it was a quiet night!) but am still a little fuzzy on the salad part.
    I'm not doing whole30 but I've been pretty strictly paleo since last year. I love salad now though I never did before. A good formula is to add 3 additional ingredients to your greens, and change up you greens for variety.

I try to do greens plus at least two separate vegetables plus a fat and usually a fruit too.

Here is what I put on my salads :

Greens:
    Arrugula
    Spring mix
    Romaine
    Baby romaine
    Baby lettuce
    Spinach
    Chard
    Kale
    Chopped herbs

Fat/protein:
    Avocado
    Nuts
    Shredded coconut (unsweetened)
    Kalamata olives
    Olives
    Bacon
    Hardboiled eggs
    Chopped meat (chicken, steak, lamb, pork)
    Salmon

Fruit:
    Raisins
    Apple
    Pear
    Dried fig
    Dried berries (unsweetened! )
    Grapefruit
    Oranges
    Fresh blueberries
    Fresh blackberry
    Fresh strawberry
    Fresh cranberries

Vegetable :
    Asparagus (chopped)
    Artichoke hearts
    Broccoli florets
    Fennel (fronds and bulb chopped or sliced)
    Hickman cubed
    Shredded raw beets
    Chopped cooked beets
    Shredded or chopped carrots
    Cucumber
    Celery
    Hearts of Palm chopped
    Bell pepper
    Tomatoes
    Sundries tomatoes

Dressing :
    Combo of evolution and various balsamic with additional herbs/spices/flavors. Anchovy paste is EXCELLENT in dressing.

Sent from my phone using Swift Key Flow
    Last edited by Katigre; 01-22-2013 at 01:31 PM.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

I had some extra time last evening so I roasted some veggies and made a pan of collard greens. The kids and DH ate poached chicken (in chx broth) with stuffing and left over mac n cheese with veggies and I had chx with veggies and collards. Now I have a ton of left over chx for salads as well as roasted veggies and collards. I threw some of them into my eggs this morning (a slice of chicken and some collards). Now I'm working on a grocery list... and modifying this weeks menu plan (that I had already shopped for). What I am missing most is mio in my water! I guess I need to break out the lemon and lime juice!
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

wow-thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
    I'm not doing whole30 but I've been pretty strictly paleo since last year. I love salad now though I never did before. A good formula is to add 3 additional ingredients to your greens, and change up you greens for variety.

I try to do greens plus at least two separate vegetables plus a fat and usually a fruit too.

Here is what I put on my salads :

Greens:
    Arrugula
    Spring mix
    Romaine
    Baby romaine
    Baby lettuce
    Spinach
    Chard
    Kale
    Chopped herbs

Fat:
    Avocado
    Nuts
    Shredded coconut (unsweetened)
    Kalamata olives
    Olives
    Bacon
    Hardboiled eggs

Fruit:
    Raisins
    Apple
    Pear
    Dried fig
    Dried berries (unsweetened! )
    Grapefruit
    Oranges
    Fresh blueberries
    Fresh blackberry
    Fresh strawberry
    Fresh cranberries

Vegetable :
    Artichoke hearts
    Broccoli florets
    Shredded raw beets
    Chopped cooked beets
    Shredded or chopped carrots
    Cucumber
    Celery
    Hearts of Palm chopped
    Bell pepper
    Tomatoes

Dressing :
    Combo of evolution and various balsamic with additional herbs/spices/flavors. Anchovy paste is EXCELLENT in dressing.

Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You're welcome. I added a few additional items to the list that I remembered after I posted.

Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

willow33 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I bought the book the other day and I'm going to start soon! I printed off some things from their website to make shopping easier and I bought the Nom Nom Paleo app for my ipad which is an amazing recipe app and has a whole tab just for Whole 30 approved recipes.

I'd love to hear updates on how everyone is feeling while doing this? I've battled IBS-D for the past few years and have tried everything to correct it. Right now I'm doing a 2 week "herbal digestive cleanse" from my nutritionist and I'm seeing improvements, but I think I could potentially benefit from a diet like this. I eat very little dairy anyway (no cows milk for over a year) but I do eat Lactaid cottage cheese and plain greek yogurt on occasion.
    ~H~

Mom to 3 sweet kids
    2003 ~ 2005 ~ 2009

I'm on day 5 today and I feel amazing. My clothes fit better and I have better energy. I'm not as hungry. And the biggest thing is last night I was stuck in an office by myself on a busy night with only a salad packed and the office had bagels, cake and good chocolate. And I resisted and it wasn't that hard. I thought about the bloat I get and stayed away! Yeah me! Just woke up and had 2 hard boiled eggs with mayo on lettuce "wraps" and 1/2 grapefruit with no sweetener. I've also way cut back on caffeine. I used to drink coffee/diet pepsi all the time (I work nights and am always tired). I've switched it out for herbal tea and my night shift caffeine pill that I take I've been able to half! And I'm less tired...
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm on day 11. I've been low carb for over a year, but had a carb/sugar overload over Christmas break when we were at my grandma's, then our trip to Monterey, and then at my mom's. By the time I was at my mom's house my stomach was going crazy-- so much gas, gurgling/bubbling, and burning pain. I couldn't wait to finally get back home and restart my system with Whole30. By day one, all my stomach issues and gas were gone. I know you're not supposed to weigh yourself, but so far I've lost 3 pounds.

I did have a cheat day over the weekend though. I was at the funeral for my August 03 mom friend (another post) and back at the family's house there was a ton of food. She was part Italian so there was a ton of homemade pasta and lasagna dishes and lots of desserts! Even though I did have salad, broccoli, and fruit I ended up eating some lasagna, cake, chocolate covered acai berries, and a homemade cannoli (which I had never had before)! Oh well. As long as I'm eating at home or at a restaurant I'm usually fine. It's definitely harder when there's food at a school meeting, playgroup, etc.

Tonight for dinner I had homemade chicken noodle soup and a salad. I didn't put many noodles in the soup so it was easy to remove the ones that were in my bowl. I'm having issues with breakfast since I just recently started eating eggs (scrambled with canadian bacon and chives) and I've found that I don't really like them without cheese. I made up a big batch, but didn't really enjoy eating them and DS2 ended up eating them all. So I've been eating mostly leftovers for breakfast. Today I ended up making up a batch of "cereal" using chopped nuts, shredded coconut, flaxseeds, sesame seeds, and raisins. I tossed it all with some coconut oil, almond butter, and cinnamon then baked it. Even though I think I baked it a little too long, it was pretty good with coconut milk poured over it. I don't think that would qualify as paleo-fying anything.

For dessert I've really liked apple slices sprinkled with cinnamon and mixed berries with coconut milk poured over them.

I've been drinking black tea with coconut milk and two other teas with nothing added-- a skin detox tea and a green tea with blueberries. I've cut out coffee since I can't drink it unsweetened.
    Last edited by essnce629; 01-18-2013 at 03:14 AM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

today is day 7 and (yes I know you aren't supposed to weigh but I couldn't help it. I'm down 2.4 lbs. To compare, I did atkins induction last summer and lost 2.2 lbs on week 1 and felt horrible through most of the week of induction.
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

I have finished 12 days. It has been going alright. I have been really busy and haven't been able to plan menus properly so I end up eating a lot of eggs, salads and pieces of meat. This would be more enjoyable if I actually cooked nice meals.

I do have the nom nom paleo app so perhaps I will spend some time this weekend and plan the week. I just got their book from the library and should start reading it.

Eating clean hasn't been too difficult but eating the same things feel like I'm dieting. I want it to be more of a way of life. Hopefully the book will give me more insights. I have been studying the paleo and primal websites and books for awhile now.

I haven't weighed myself but think my face shows my cheeks better.

Good luck to everyone else. Love the updates.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast