mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Need ideas for potty training regression

DS1 is 3.5 and potty trained around age 3. He did a great job with training and after the initial few weeks we had very few accidents, to the point I stopped carrying extra pants. He gave up diapers entirely and reliably holds it for 10+hours overnight.

Over the past few weeks he's had a sudden spike in pee accidents. He will stop and hold it after he feels the damp undies but refuses to stop whatever he is doing to go pee. If you see him dancing and suggest a potty trip he will deny he has to go but two minutes later...

Any BTDT or strategy suggestions? I don't think it's a physical issue because we haven't had any nighttime issues. This is still a million times better than changing diapers but I know he can do better because we've been there. I've tried a variety of things with limited to no success and could use some new ideas.
    Last edited by mikala; 01-02-2013 at 02:36 AM.

First, I'd make sure he's not constipated. Then, I'd institute a sticker chart. Every time he tells you he needs to go or goes without you asking him first, he gets a sticker. For every accident free day, he gets a star. After four stars in a row, he gets some kind of treat. When this happened at our house, the sparkly star sticker was enough incentive, and we phased out the chart after about two weeks, because he just didn't need it any more. We haven't had any accidents yet, but I've been noticing a lot of "wee wee dances" as we call them in our house, so I'm about to begin another chart. He'll get a sticker for every day he goes without fuss BEFORE I see that he needs to go. Good luck!

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My best advice is to be consistent. DS3 is almost 3.5 yrs old and is mostly PT'd, but we've been dealing with him pooping in his pull up (from his nap) again and being lazy and peeing in his pull up in the morning instead of getting on the toilet and switching to underwear. I'm just trying to be more diligent about keeping an eye on him. My old boys both did this too, where they had a little bit of regression and then got back on track again.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

logan's mom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have no advice. My DS is 3.5 also. Potty trained around 26 months-had been pooping in the potty since about 20 months, very interested in the potty and trained pretty easy.

Lately he is having a lot of "accidents." Never at school, never in the car, never when we are out, stays dry all night. Only when we are at home-even though I am constantly asking if he has to go, would he like to go try, and that he can have a sticker if he goes when I ask/a treat if he goes on his own. We are on our 2nd pair of underwear today : (

It is very frustrating. I don't know if he is just doing it for attention or if he is just to busy and doesn't want to stop what he is doing.

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

For us, potty training regressions just required time and consistency. I didn't punish or reward, just gently reminded him that we only go to the bathroom in the potty. Each time, he's come out of the regression without me making any changes and just waiting it out.