My son is about 2 yrs and 4 months old, and in another month I want to start potty training. For Christmas he got his own potty which he loved, and now when we use the bathroom he wants to come too and sit on his own potty. He even started asking me to take off his diaper and pants to sit on it. However, he will only sit on it for a few seconds before stating "all done!" I feel like he's really interested though and now is the time to do this since we're expecting another baby in July and I would really love him out of diapers soon, so we can also move him to another room and have all those major changes out of the way before the new baby arrives. That said, if he's not ready I won't push it, but here's what I was thinking and I have a lot of questions...

I bought some underwear in characters he loves, so I was going to take 4 day weekend and just dive right in... have him wear just the underwear (I will still do diapers at night), and ask him to sit on the potty every 20-30 mins. Is it a good idea to ask him to do that so much, or should i wait longer during sittings on the potty? I was going to give stickers for each time he sits on the potty...but I'm wondering if he will just sit for one second just to get a sticker and then leap up. Thoughts? I don't want to resort to candy. I was also thinking of putting some books next to the potty to try to get him to sit there longer. How long should I ask him to sit there during each attempt? Also, I know some people will put the potty out in the living room and let their child watch TV to persuade them to sit there longer, but I really don't want to do that. (My husband is already squeamish about potty training and he would freak if I did that! LOL.) I'm going to give lots of juice and water throughout the day. Hopefully during this time we will be mostly at home, but if we go out, should I buy a portable potty? I fear he will not use one at a store, especially since he freaked when I tried to hold him up to our big potty once before. Finally, if he has an accident, I"m not sure exactly what to say except to calmly/but sternly state that pee/poop goes in the potty, then clean him up, and ask him to help clean the mess...is that a good idea?

I was considering the 3 day potty method, but not sure I wanted to spend money on that, or if I needed a formal method per se. Thoughts? Would love you suggestions/answers to my questions above. Sorry it's all bunched together. Thank you!!!