Default how/when to transition from rock n play to crib?

Ds2 is almost 2 months. He is sleeping well in the rock n play at night, and not so well there during the day (doesn't sleep well anywhere during the day). He doesn't have reflux as far as I know, but likes to sleep swaddled and seems to prefer the positioning of the rock n play. He is a big guy - already over 13 pounds. Right now we are physically rocking him to sleep in the rock n play to get him to sleep most of the time. I would like to transition him to the crib, but I'm not sure if it makes sense to do it now or wait a little longer.

I like the baby whisperer, and did a lot of shh and patting with DS1, but I do not have the time or energy for that with a toddler running around. But I also really do not want him to become dependent on rocking to go to sleep, because then I'm in trouble when he outgrows the rock n play.

What was your experience transitioning to the crib?

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I think I transitioned DS at about 4-5 months. I wouldn't worry about setting up bad habits in the "fourth trimester", just do what works. With DS, we had no problems transitioning.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We still use ours on occasion
    Used it regularly until he got too mobile and kept turning over even when swaddled
    shannon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Another Queen of the House of Boys:
    DS#1 2003
    DS#2 my mother's day gift 2012
    DH
    Mikey, the cat and rhinestone-collared, pink-leashed Schatze, our Rottweiler girl

mctlaw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Love the rnp but hate the transition! We used it for 5 1/2 months. Ds2 would just not go down on a flat sleeping surface without waking up and crying. I used the pickup/put down technique to get him used to going down in his crib and it worked great, though did not solve our problem of frequent wake ups, just for getting baby used to crib it was great.

At 2 months, no worries, I would start to think about a transition out between 4-5 months.
    MC

Fair Queen-Ruler of the House of Boys
    Mom to DS 3/06
    DS 2 6/12
    and a 12 year old (boy) min pin

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

It was about 4-5 months for us and honestly he hasn't slept well since the transition. I would put it off as long as possible. We didn't get rid of the R&P until he was really trying to turn over in it.

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I also used it for 4 or 5 months, until I was mentally prepared for the transition. But it wasn't too bad, I used a swaddle and after 2 or 3 nights DS was sleeping in his crib with one 4 am feeding like the RnP. I weaned him of his swaddle next and then finally the feeding around 7 or 8 months.
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

I am leaning towards waiting until he is old enough for pick up/put down, because I think that's the method I would like to use for the transition. I think the earliest they say that works is 3-4 months, but I need to read up on it. I really hope my fear of the transition will be worse than the actual transition!