chozen is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default question for those who have foster/adopted.

we are in the process of being lic. for foster care, our plan is to adopt. what can we do to greater our chances of adopting a newborn foster child? i know not an easy question to answer.

My Brother has adopted through foster care twice (Once in that last month). The less restrictions/requirements you have the better your chances. With there first child, they had no restrictions, and had a child placed quickly. With the second child, they wanted him/her to be the same race as their first (who is a differerent race from B and SIL), and had to wait almost 2 years. They initially had a longer list of restrictions with the second, and it was only when they were more open to different situations they had their second son placed. I truely believe that there was a greater purpose to the 2 year wait because their second son was meant to be part of their family. Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by cckwmh View Post
    My Brother has adopted through foster care twice (Once in that last month). The less restrictions/requirements you have the better your chances. With there first child, they had no restrictions, and had a child placed quickly. With the second child, they wanted him/her to be the same race as their first (who is a differerent race from B and SIL), and had to wait almost 2 years. They initially had a longer list of restrictions with the second, and it was only when they were more open to different situations they had their second son placed. I truely believe that there was a greater purpose to the 2 year wait because their second son was meant to be part of their family. Good luck to you.
    Do you have any idea what questions your brother ask when he got called with a placement?

I can ask them and get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by cckwmh View Post
    I can ask them and get back to you.
    I would be so grateful!

In our area, adopting a newborn through the state system is nearly impossible. At a neighboring state, they said they place a LOT of babies, but adoptions are still rare. Many states require a attempt at returning the child to the birth parents. In my state, an adoption generally can't be done until after trying for reunification for 12-15 months. They may have a "good feeling" that the birth parents won't be able to get it together, but still can't say that the child will be adoptable.

Sorry to sound so discouraging! I just hear to so many people thinking "there's tons of babies in the state system" without being told/realizing that the babies may not be adoptable. And there's nothing quite as heartbreaking as expecting a baby to adopt, and the baby going back to its birth parents. Heck, I'm a few months from adopting DD through the state, and she was my failed adoption 8 years ago, and it STILL smarts that we had a failed adoption with her all those years ago!
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

I have lots of friends who have adopted thru the system.

Friend A was brought a 3 mo child. They still had him two years later when they brought his bio brother home from the hospital. After about four years, they finally adopted both children.

Friend b fostered a six month infant. He is now almost five and he has not been adopted. They want to adopt but the case is still be dragged on and on.

Friend c adopted a child they brought home from the hospital. That was driven by the bio mom because she saw her child was better off and terminated her rights. The adoption was finalized when the child was 15 months old. (this was in a different state than the first two)

Friend d adopted a child that she got within a couple weeks of the child's birth. The adoption was finalized by the time the child was 2.5.

Friend e brought a child home from the hospital and adopted it. A couple years later the birth mom surrendered her child thru the safe haven law while she was still in the hospital and my friend was called since she had the bio sibling.
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"