Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I found a sturdy bin option for Expedit

We recently got two Expedits for our living area and I've been desperately seeking a sturdier bin for heavy items. I ended up with these galvanized bins from Walmart. They are a perfect fit (just a couple inches of space above) and are sturdy enough to hold a couple sets of Magnatiles, so they pass the test.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Hom...ilver/24534331

We also got these less-sturdy than the galvanized bin, but more sturdy than the standard fabric bin, and look "more living room than play room" baskets - which was a combination difficult to find in colors: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Whitmor-Ra...e-Red/25957571

HTH!
    ~C~

Mama to a curious daughter born in May 2006 and a persistent son born in July 2008.

Kymberley is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Heck yeah! I LOVE those galvanized bins! I would love to see how they look in your Expedits. Would you be willing to post a pic, or email me one if that's not something you feel comfortable with?

I'm filling them up right now. When I get it done I'll try to get a pic posted.
    ~C~

Mama to a curious daughter born in May 2006 and a persistent son born in July 2008.

Thank you!

Mermanaid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm curious to see too! Did you put the felt pads on the bottom so they won't scratch the expedit?
    Jenn

My loves:
    DD 11/2004
    DS 6/2007

I'm a big fan of these study bins, which we've used for years in out Expedit.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-1628...e+ultra+basket

I agree with the OP about the difficulty of finding the right size in a more "living room" look.... but I couldn't stomach paying more than $8-10 per bin. The Ultra Sterilite Deep are only $5 a bin. I used Krylon Fusion Spraypaint for plastic to change mine to the color I want. Their Decor color, available online, are particularly helfpul. I painted the shelf bins pale yellow on the front face and nothing anywhere else, and am very happy with the result. I painted a test one red everywhere, inside and out, and it has held up OK, but not great, over years of hard daily use.

I'll try to post a photo, but I wasn't able to do it last time I tried.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

I haven't put on the felt pads yet, but that is a great idea. I will get some tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Let's see if this works:
    ~C~

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Ohh, those sound really cool, and might be a good way to round out our storage!

ETA: Those look great, love the turquoise Expedit color!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

They look great! Thank you so much for posting a photo!

Mermanaid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

They look sooo good! I am replacing expedits (due to a flood) and may just use your ideas. Those bins are awesome.
    Jenn

My loves:
    DD 11/2004
    DS 6/2007

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast