wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default CPSC warning about FP Rock N Play sleepers (xpost)

http://www.13wham.com/content/news/c...ziikcGmyg.cspx

The government is warning consumers to inspect Fisher-Price Newborn Rock 'N Play Sleepers due to risk of exposure to mold for infants who use them.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission said Tuesday its warning applies to 800,000 infant recliner seats that were sold at stores nationwide and online since September 2009, with prices ranging between $50 and $85. The seats, designed for babies up to 25 pounds, feature a soft plastic seat held in a tubular metal rocking frame. The product has a removable fabric cover.

Mold can develop between the seat cushion and the hard plastic frame if the sleepers remains wet or is infrequently cleaned.

Fisher-Price has received 600 reports of mold and 16 infants have been treated for respiratory issues, coughs and hives after using the sleepers.

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh ick. That sounds so yucky.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Can't anything fabric that gets wet and isn't cleaned get moldly? Not sure I get it.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    Can't anything fabric that gets wet and isn't cleaned get moldly? Not sure I get it.
    That was my reaction, too. I can imagine some serious mold issues with the harder-to-clean styles of high chair, among other things.

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    That was my reaction, too. I can imagine some serious mold issues with the harder-to-clean styles of high chair, among other things.
    Our high chair was so filled with black mold by the time we were done with it (under the cover, which we didn't take off because we wiped down the cushion after each use) that we threw it out. It was a Graco. Ugh.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Just sharing this link b/c I think it explains it better. From having two of these, I think what is happening is that when you wash it, there isn't enough air circulation due to the rigid plastic backing to sufficiently dry the fabric and it develops mold. You can't see the mold b/c the plastic is encased in fabric on both sides.

It is more serious than, say, a high chair b/c babies spend a lot more hours of the day sleeping in it.

http://www.parents.com/product-recal...c=pmmfb1301083

I am weirdly bummer that one of my all time favorite baby products has been recalled. And we just sold ours on Saturday. Wonder if I should email this to the buyer?
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

Yikes! I may be a latecomer but I just saw this post . . . what a shame, as I too own one of these trusty ol' Fisher-Price models. Sounds like yet another thing I never think to clean that could be dirtier than I think. Thanks for sharing, though.
    "Pray without ceasing. Rejoice evermore."
    My review guide to the best baby safety gates.